Open Medicine Foundation
The Open Medicine Foundation (OMF) is an American non-profit 501(c)(3) organization established in 2012 for the purpose of funding and initiating groundbreaking research into complex chronic diseases. It supports chronic complex disease research with a focus on chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), fibromyalgia (FMS), and Chronic Lyme Disease.
The OMF's current project is the End ME/CFS Project.
OMF's strategy is to include highly recognized and accomplished scientists with expertise in body systems linked to chronic complex diseases. The organization also has an extensive patient network as developed through email newsletter subscriptions.
Stuart Murdoch is Ambassador promoting the OMF's work "through videos and messaging on their social media and websites, personal appearances, and face-to-face interactions with their communities and fans."Amy Carlson is an OMF Ambassador also raising awareness and fundraising. As is celebrated international author Karin Alvtegen and opera star Jacqueline Ko.
ME/CFS Scientific Advisory Board[edit | edit source]
The advisory board is made up of world-renowned researchers:
- Dr. Ronald Davis (Scientific Advisory Board Director, and father of Whitney Dafoe)
- Paul Berg (cellular metabolism, Nobel laureate)
- Mario Capecchi (genetics, Nobel laureate)
- Mark Davis (immunology)
- Craig Heller (exercise physiology)
- Robert Naviaux (virology & cell biology, mitochondrial specialist)
- Baldomero Olivera (neurobiology & pain)
- Ronald Tompkins (trauma & metabolism)
- Wenzhong Xiao (computational genomics)
- David Bell (ME/CFS clinician. See Lyndonville outbreak)
- Maureen Hanson (cell and molecular biology)
- Øystein Fluge (oncology)
- Olav Mella (oncology)
- Jonas Bergquist
- Jennifer Frankovich
- Daniel Peterson
- Mike Snyder
Board[edit | edit source]
The OMF board comprises:
- Linda Tannenbaum (Founder/CEO/President)
- Kimberley Hicks (Treasurer)
- Patti Linsley (Secretary)
- R.P. Channing, MD, Emeritus
- Kathryn Bach
- Carol E. Jensen
- Deborah Rose, MD
- Joseph Morin
- Hany Zayed, PhD
Research Projects[edit | edit source]
Notable research[edit | edit source]
Funding[edit | edit source]
OMF have fund-raised primarily from ME sufferers and community for the research. The National Institutes of Health have not provided funding.
In January 2018 Pineapple fund, a philanthropic project by an early bitcoin investor, donated $1 million to OMF. The anonymous donor was so touched by the outpouring of appreciation from the worldwide ME community that they increased the donation to $5 million.
Advocacy[edit | edit source]
Talks and interviews[edit | edit source]
- 3rd Annual Community Symposium on the Molecular Basis of ME/CFS (Sept 2019)
- Inaugural Harvard Community Symposium:Finding Clarity (June 2019)
- 2nd Annual Community Symposium on the Molecular Basis of ME/CFS (Sept 2018)
- 1st Annual Community Symposium on the Molecular Basis of ME/CFS (Aug 2017)
- Bedside Chat with Ben (Dec)
- Lecture at Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Nov 25)
- ME/CFS Alert Episode #109 (Sept)
- Q&A on ME/CFS Research with Dr. Ron Davis (Mar 7)
- An Update on ME/CFS Research with Dr. Ronald W. Davis (Feb 21)
- Scientist Ron Davis Tells How We Are "Fast-Tracking" ME/CFS Research (Feb 3)
- Getting Answers to ME/CFS Faster through Collaboration and Openness (Dec 13)
- Short Story of a Family's Struggle with ME/CFS (May 21)
- ME/CFS Alert Episode #110 (Sept)
- Patient Conversations: Interviews Dr. Alan Gurwitt (June)
- Patient Conversations: Interviews Rivka Solomon (April)
- Episode 79 - Linda Tannenbaum (May 8)
Online presence[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "OMF Ambassador - Stuart Murdoch | Open Medicine Foundation". Open Medicine Foundation. Retrieved Oct 9, 2018.
- "Scientific Advisory Board | Open Medicine Foundation". Open Medicine Foundation. Retrieved Oct 9, 2018.
- "Foundation Board | Open Medicine Foundation". Open Medicine Foundation. Retrieved Oct 9, 2018.
- "Pineapple Fund". Retrieved Jun 23, 2019.
- "Pineapple Fund increases donation to $5 million | Open Medicine Foundation". Open Medicine Foundation. Feb 2, 2018. Retrieved Oct 9, 2018.
- "New $1 million donation for ME/CFS research! | Open Medicine Foundation". Open Medicine Foundation. May 24, 2018. Retrieved Oct 9, 2018.
- Ryan Prior (Director); Nicole Castillo (Director); Anthony Komaroff; Hillary Johnson; Ron Davis (2015), Forgotten Plague (documentary film)
- #ME Action (Dec 2015), Forgotten Plague Screening Announcement, Palo Alto, CA, US
chronic disease - a disease or condition that usually lasts for 3 months or longer and may get worse over time
mitochondria - Important parts of the biological cell, with each mitochondrion encased within a mitochondrial membrane. Mitochondria are best known for their role in energy production, earning them the nickname "the powerhouse of the cell". Mitochondria also participate in the detection of threats and the response to these threats. One of the responses to threats orchestrated by mitochondria is apoptosis, a cell suicide program used by cells when the threat can not be eliminated.