Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension diet
The DASH Diet recommended foods include higg or reasonably high levels of potassium, magnesium, and calcium such as fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy products, whole grain foods, fish, poultry, beans, seeds, and nuts. The DASH Diet also involves limiting the amount of salt and sodium, added sugars, sweets, saturated fats, and red meats that are consumed.
Theory[edit | edit source]
Evidence[edit | edit source]
There are no clinical trials reporting the effects of the DASH Diet on people with ME/CFS.
A number of studies by the U.S. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) have found that the DASH diet reduces hypertension (high blood pressure), reduces levels of "bad" cholesterol in the blood and increases levels of "good" cholesterol. However, in comparison to the general population, it is not particularly common for patients with ME/CFS to have high blood pressure or cholesterol ranges outside the recommended range.
Clinicians[edit | edit source]
Risks and safety[edit | edit source]
Costs and availability[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
- Dash Eating Plan - National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
- Dash Diet - Mayo Clinic
- Dash Diet - National Kidney Foundation
References[edit | edit source]
- "DASH Eating Plan". National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute | National Institutes of Health. Retrieved December 29, 2021.
- "How to make the DASH diet work for you". Mayo Clinic. Retrieved December 29, 2021.
- Carruthers, BM; van de Sande, MI; De Meirleir, KL; Klimas, NG; Broderick, G; Mitchell, T; Staines, D; Powles, ACP; Speight, N; Vallings, R; Bateman, L; Bell, DS; Carlo-Stella, N; Chia, J; Darragh, A; Gerken, A; Jo, D; Lewis, DP; Light, AR; Light, KC; Marshall-Gradisnik, S; McLaren-Howard, J; Mena, I; Miwa, K; Murovska, M; Stevens, SR (2012), Myalgic encephalomyelitis: Adult & Paediatric: International Consensus Primer for Medical Practitioners (PDF), ISBN 978-0-9739335-3-6
- Carruthers, Bruce M.; Jain, Anil Kumar; De Meirleir, Kenny L.; Peterson, Daniel L.; Klimas, Nancy G.; Lerner, A. Martin; Bested, Alison C.; Flor-Henry, Pierre; Joshi, Pradip; Powles, AC Peter; Sherkey, Jeffrey A.; van de Sande, Marjorie I. (2003), "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Clinical Working Case Definition, Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols" (PDF), Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 11 (2): 7–115, doi:10.1300/J092v11n01_02