Healthy, balanced diet
A healthy, balanced diet or healthy diet or balanced diet is universally recommended by nutritionists and doctors worldwide. There are a wide variety of different diets or dietary patterns that can provide a healthy, balanced diet.
Theory[edit | edit source]
Evidence[edit | edit source]
A healthy, balanced diet is one that meets the person's nutritional requirements, and can avoid malnutrition and dietary deficiencies that are known causes of fatigue, for example vitamin B12 or iron deficiencies. Many patients with ME/CFS are advised to take vitamin D supplements, particularly if they are housebound, since the main source of vitamin D is sunlight rather than food.
A healthy, balanced diet cannot cure ME/CFS since if symptoms may be the result of an inadequate diet then ME/CFS cannot be diagnosed. Medical tests are required in order to rule out nutritional issues before diagnosis, for example vitamin B12, vitamin D, iron, liver and blood sugar level tests.
Risks and safety[edit | edit source]
Costs and availability[edit | edit source]
Foods are widely available and relatively inexpensive. High quality guides to following a healthy,balanced diet are easily available and health professionals can also advise on them.
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
- Healthy diet - World Health Organization
- Healthy eating - CDC
- Eat Well guide - NHS
- Balanced diet - Health Direct Australia
- What is a healthy diet: recommended servings - American Heart Association
References[edit | edit source]
- "Healthy diet". World Health Organization. Retrieved December 29, 2021.
- "Eat well". NHS. April 26, 2018. Retrieved December 29, 2021.
- Carruthers, Bruce M.; Jain, Anil Kumar; De Meirleir, Kenny L.; Peterson, Daniel L.; Klimas, Nancy G.; Lerner, A. Martin; Bested, Alison C.; Flor-Henry, Pierre; Joshi, Pradip; Powles, AC Peter; Sherkey, Jeffrey A.; van de Sande, Marjorie I. (2003), "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Clinical Working Case Definition, Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols" (PDF), Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 11 (2): 7–115, doi:10.1300/J092v11n01_02
- Carruthers, BM; van de Sande, MI; De Meirleir, KL; Klimas, NG; Broderick, G; Mitchell, T; Staines, D; Powles, ACP; Speight, N; Vallings, R; Bateman, L; Bell, DS; Carlo-Stella, N; Chia, J; Darragh, A; Gerken, A; Jo, D; Lewis, DP; Light, AR; Light, KC; Marshall-Gradisnik, S; McLaren-Howard, J; Mena, I; Miwa, K; Murovska, M; Stevens, SR (2012), Myalgic encephalomyelitis: Adult & Paediatric: International Consensus Primer for Medical Practitioners (PDF), ISBN 978-0-9739335-3-6
- NICE Guideline Development Group (October 29, 2021). "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (or Encephalopathy)/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:diagnosis and management. NICE guideline". National Institute for Health and Care Excellence.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) - The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is a U.S. government agency dedicated to epidemiology and public health. It operates under the auspices of the Department of Health and Human Services.