Prevalence[edit | edit source]
Symptom recognition[edit | edit source]
Tachycardia is also a symptom found in some people with Long COVID, and is listed as an optional symptom in the World Health Organization Long COVID diagnostic criteria.
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
Possible causes[edit | edit source]
Tachycardia has many different possible causes, including:
- Electrolyte imbalances
- Recent strenuous exercise
- High caffeine or alcohol consumption
- Illicit drug use, e.g. cocaine
- Postural orthostatic tachychardia syndrome (POTS), which causes tachycardia when someone moves from sitting to standing
- Psychological / emotional stress, fear or anxiety
- Various heart problems
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
- Tachycardia - Mayo Clinic
- What are the types of tachycardia? - WebMD
- Tachycardia: Fast Heart Rate - American Heart Association
References[edit | edit source]
- "Tachycardia - Symptoms and causes". Mayo Clinic. Retrieved January 3, 2022.
- "What are the types of tachycardia?". WebMD. Retrieved January 3, 2022.
- Carruthers, BM; van de Sande, MI; De Meirleir, KL; Klimas, NG; Broderick, G; Mitchell, T; Staines, D; Powles, ACP; Speight, N; Vallings, R; Bateman, L; Bell, DS; Carlo-Stella, N; Chia, J; Darragh, A; Gerken, A; Jo, D; Lewis, DP; Light, AR; Light, KC; Marshall-Gradisnik, S; McLaren-Howard, J; Mena, I; Miwa, K; Murovska, M; Stevens, SR (2012), Myalgic encephalomyelitis: Adult & Paediatric: International Consensus Primer for Medical Practitioners (PDF), ISBN 978-0-9739335-3-6
- Soriano, Joan B.; Allan, Maya; Alsokhn, Carine; Alwan, Nisreen A.; Askie, Lisa; Davis, Hannah E.; Diaz, Janet V.; Dua, Tarun; de Groote, Wouter; Jakob, Robert; Lado, Marta; Marshall, John; Murthy, Srin; Preller, Jacobus; Relan, Pryanka; Schiess, Nicoline; Seahwag, Archana (October 6, 2021), A clinical case definition of post COVID-19 condition by a Delphi consensus, World Health Organization (WHO) clinical case definition working group on post COVID-19 condition, World Health Organization
heart rate (HR) - the number of times the heart beats within a certain time period, usually a minute
postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) - A form of orthostatic intolerance where the cardinal symptom is excessive tachycardia due to changing position (e.g. from lying down to sitting up).
World Health Organization (WHO) - "A specialized agency of the United Nations that is concerned with public health. It was established on 7 April 1948, and is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland. The WHO is a member of the United Nations Development Group. Its predecessor, the Health Organization, was an agency of the League of Nations." The International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD) is maintained by WHO.