A muscle strain or strain is an injury involving a stretched or torn muscle or tendon (tendons are fibrous cords of tissue that connect muscle to bone).
Signs and symptoms[edit | edit source]
Acute strain[edit | edit source]
Associated with a recent trauma or injury, acute strains often result from improperly lifting a heavy object or overstressing the muscles.
Chronic strain[edit | edit source]
Chronic strains are long-lasting injuries, usually cause by overuse, especially repetitive or prolonged movements of muscles and tendons, work space injuries are very common.
Prevalence[edit | edit source]
Strains commonly occur in the general population.
Symptom recognition[edit | edit source]
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
Possible causes[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Garrick, Nancy (April 10, 2017). "Sprains and Strains". National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. Retrieved December 19, 2021.
- "Understanding Sprains and Strains". WebMD. Retrieved December 19, 2021.
- Carruthers, Bruce M.; Jain, Anil Kumar; De Meirleir, Kenny L.; Peterson, Daniel L.; Klimas, Nancy G.; Lerner, A. Martin; Bested, Alison C.; Flor-Henry, Pierre; Joshi, Pradip; Powles, AC Peter; Sherkey, Jeffrey A.; van de Sande, Marjorie I. (2003), "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Clinical Working Case Definition, Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols" (PDF), Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 11 (2): 7–115, doi:10.1300/J092v11n01_02
- Carruthers, BM; van de Sande, MI; De Meirleir, KL; Klimas, NG; Broderick, G; Mitchell, T; Staines, D; Powles, ACP; Speight, N; Vallings, R; Bateman, L; Bell, DS; Carlo-Stella, N; Chia, J; Darragh, A; Gerken, A; Jo, D; Lewis, DP; Light, AR; Light, KC; Marshall-Gradisnik, S; McLaren-Howard, J; Mena, I; Miwa, K; Murovska, M; Stevens, SR (2012), Myalgic encephalomyelitis: Adult & Paediatric: International Consensus Primer for Medical Practitioners (PDF), ISBN 978-0-9739335-3-6
- "IOM 2015 Diagnostic Criteria | Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome". Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. January 27, 2021. Retrieved February 25, 2021.
- Fukuda, K.; Straus, S.E.; Hickie, I.; Sharpe, M.C.; Dobbins, J.G.; Komaroff, A. (December 15, 1994). "The chronic fatigue syndrome: a comprehensive approach to its definition and study. International Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Study Group" (PDF). Annals of Internal Medicine. American College of Physicians. 121 (12): 953–959. ISSN 0003-4819. PMID 7978722.