Stephen E. Straus, (November 23, 1946 – May 14, 2007), MD, was a highly awarded virologist who worked at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). His most noted work was with herpesviruses, especially Epstein-Barr virus, HIV/AIDS, chronic fatigue syndrome, and a rare genetic disorder called Autoimmune lymphoproliferative syndrome (ALPS). In 1998 , he became the founding director of the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, at the NIH.
[edit | edit source]
- 1994, Fukuda criteria
- 1988, Holmes criteria
Books[edit | edit source]
- 1994, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (1994 book)
- 1997, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Comprehensive Guide to Symptoms, Treatments, and Solving the Practical Problems of CFS by Gregg Charles Fisher, with contributions by Paul Cheney, Stephen Straus, Nelson M. Gantz, David C. Klonoff, James M. Oleske
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 1987, Chronic Epstein-Barr Virus Infection. J F Jones, and S E Straus. Annual Review of Medicine. Vol. 38: 195-209 (Volume publication date February 1987). DOI: 10.1146/annurev.me.38.020187.001211
- 1988, Acyclovir treatment of the chronic fatigue syndrome. Lack of efficacy in a placebo-controlled trial
- 1994, The chronic fatigue syndrome: a comprehensive approach to its definition and study. International Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Study Group(Abstract)
- 2004, Pharmacotherapy of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Another Gallant Attempt
Talks and interviews[edit | edit source]
- 1996, interviewed in Sick and Tired - Incline Village Outbreak, a TV news magazine piece 
Online presence[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ↑ https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/memoriam-stephen-e-straus-md-first-director-nihs-national-center-complementary-alternative-medicine-internationally-recognized-physician-scientist
- ↑ http://www.cfids-me.org/cdcdefine.html
- ↑ http://www.ncf-net.org/patents/pdf/Holmes_Definition.pdf
- ↑ Fisher, Gregg Charles; Cheney, Paul; Straus, Stephen; Gantz, Nelson M.; Klonoff, David C.; Oleske, James M. (1997), Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Comprehensive Guide to Symptoms, Treatments, and Solving the Practical Problems of CFS (book), Grand Central Publishing
- ↑ Straus, Stephen E.; Dale, Janet K.; Tobi, Martin; Lawley, Thomas; Preble, Olivia; Blaese, R. Michael; Hallahan, Claire; Henle, Werner (1988), "Acyclovir treatment of the chronic fatigue syndrome. Lack of efficacy in a placebo-controlled trial", New England Journal of Medicine, 319 (26): 1692-8, doi:10.1056/NEJM198812293192602
- ↑ Fukuda, Keiji; Straus, Stephen E; Sharpe, Michael C.; Dobbins, James G.; Komaroff, Anthony; International Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Study Group (December 15, 1994). "The Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Comprehensive Approach to Its Definition and Study". Annals of Internal Medicine. 121 (12): 953. doi:10.7326/0003-4819-121-12-199412150-00009. ISSN 0003-4819.
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW0x9_Q8qbo
The information provided at this site is not intended to diagnose or treat any illness.
From MEpedia, a crowd-sourced encyclopedia of ME and CFS science and history.