Rosamund Vallings, MD, MNZM, MB, BS, is one of New Zealand’s leading authorities on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. She served voluntarily for over 27 years as President of the Associated New Zealand ME Society (ANZMES) and later as Medical Adviser and Committee Member.
- 2011, Nelson Gantz Outstanding Clinician Award awarded to a physician who emulates Nelson Gantz's clinical acumen, his passion for medicine, and his empathy for persons with CFS/FM awarded by IACFS/ME
- 2008, Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit in the New Year honours list (MNZM)
2017 Pediatric Primer
Dr. Vallings was one of the authors of the 2017 Pediatric Primer published in Frontiers in Pediatrics.
- Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Diagnosis and Management in Young People: A Primer (OPEN ACCESS/FULL TEXT). Authors: Peter C. Rowe, Rosemary A. Underhill, Kenneth J. Friedman, Alan Gurwitt, Marvin S. Medow, Malcolm S. Schwartz, Nigel Speight, Julian M. Stewart, Rosamund Vallings and Katherine S. Rowe
Abstract:Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a complex disease that affects children and adolescents as well as adults. The etiology has not been established. While many pediatricians and other health-care providers are aware of ME/CFS, they often lack essential knowledge that is necessary for diagnosis and treatment. Many young patients experience symptoms for years before receiving a diagnosis. This primer, written by the International Writing Group for Pediatric ME/CFS, provides information necessary to understand, diagnose, and manage the symptoms of ME/CFS in children and adolescents. ME/CFS is characterized by overwhelming fatigue with a substantial loss of physical and mental stamina. Cardinal features are malaise and a worsening of symptoms following minimal physical or mental exertion. These post-exertional symptoms can persist for hours, days, or weeks and are not relieved by rest or sleep. Other symptoms include cognitive problems, unrefreshing or disturbed sleep, generalized or localized pain, lightheadedness, and additional symptoms in multiple organ systems. While some young patients can attend school, on a full or part-time basis, many others are wheelchair dependent, housebound, or bedbound. Prevalence estimates for pediatric ME/CFS vary from 0.1 to 0.5%. Because there is no diagnostic test for ME/CFS, diagnosis is purely clinical, based on the history and the exclusion of other fatiguing illnesses by physical examination and medical testing. Co-existing medical conditions including orthostatic intolerance (OI) are common. Successful management is based on determining the optimum balance of rest and activity to help prevent post-exertional symptom worsening. Medications are helpful to treat pain, insomnia, OI and other symptoms. The published literature on ME/CFS and specifically that describing the diagnosis and management of pediatric ME/CFS is very limited. Where published studies are lacking, recommendations are based on the clinical observations and practices of the authors.
Open Letter to The Lancet
Two open letters to the editor of The Lancet urged the editor to commission a fully independent review of the PACE trial, which the journal had published in 2011. In 2016, Dr. Vallings, along with 41 colleagues in the ME/CFS field, signed the second letter.
- 10 February 2016, An open letter to The Lancet, again - Virology blog
- 2016, Invest in ME C11 2016 Conference Report, by Dr. Rosamund Vallings
- 2015 Invest in ME Conference Report, by Dr. Rosamund Vallings
- 2004, AACFS 7th International Conference - Conference Reports.
- 2004, Hypnosis in the Management of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
"Abstract - During the past 30 years hypnosis has become recognised as a useful adjunct to traditional medical therapies, and has become part of mainstream medicine. Hypnosis societies provide training for health professionals to obtain registrable qualifications. The modality has been incorporated in the management of many medical conditions and diseases, with opportunities for symptom control, building confidence and enhancing the benefits of regular therapies. There are many opportunities for using hypnosis as an adjunctive therapy in the management of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, despite some early difficulties. Problems likely to be encountered are discussed and the structure of the hypnosis session is outlined. Suggestions are given for practitioners to construct useful scripts, which can be used to teach self-hypnosis."
Talks and Interviews
- 2014, CFS/ME lecture | Dr Ros Vallings | Sep-2014
- 2013, Presentation by Dr Ros Vallings at seminar held by Emerge Australia (formerly ME/CFS Australia (Victoria))
- 2013, Dr Ros Vallings talks about M.E. and feelings of isolation
- 2010, Dr Ros Vallings on ME/CFS and XMRV
- 2015, Managing ME/CFS: A guide for young people
- 2013, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome M.E.: Symptoms, Diagnosis, Management
- 20 November 2016, Doctor wins international award in Times Live New Zealand
- New Zealand
- Associated New Zealand ME Society
- Richie Barnett
- Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Diagnosis and Management in Young People: A Primer
- Carruthers, BM; van de Sande, MI; De Meirleir, KL; Klimas, NG; Broderick, G; Mitchell, T; Staines, D; Powles, A C P; Speight, N; Vallings, R; Bateman, L; Baumgarten-Austrheim, B; Bell, DS; Carlo-Stella, N; Chia, J; Darragh, A; Jo, D; Lewis, D; Light, A; Marshall-Gradisnik, S; Mena, I; Mikovits, JA; Miwa, K; Murovska, M; Pall, ML; Stevens, S (2011), "Myalgic encephalomyelitis: International Consensus Criteria.", Journal of Internal Medicine, 270 (4): 327-38, PMID 21777306, doi:10.1111/j.1365-2796.2011.02428.x
- Rowe, Peter C.; Underhill, Rosemary A.; Friedman, Kenneth J.; Gurwitt, Alan; Medow, Marvin S.; Schwartz, Malcolm S.; Speight, Nigel; Stewart, Julian M.; Vallings, Rosamund; Rowe, Katherine S. (2017), "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Diagnosis and Management in Young People: A Primer", Frontiers in Pediatrics, 5 (121), doi:10.3389/fped.2017.00121
- Rosamund Vallings. (2004). AACFS 7th International Conference. Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Vol. 12, Iss. 4, pp. 61-79. http://dx.doi.org/10.1300/J092v12n04_06
- Rosamund Vallings. (2004). Hypnosis in the Management of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Vol. 12, Iss. 4, pp. 37-46. http://dx.doi.org/10.1300/J092v12n04_04
- Vallings, Rosamund. (2015). Managing ME/CFS: A guide for young people. Calico Publishing. ASIN: B0118NVEBG
- Vallings, Rosamund. (2013). Chronic Fatigue Syndrome M.E.: Symptoms, Diagnosis, Management. Calico Publishing Ltd. ASIN: B00DVX59DQ