Alan R. Gurwitt, MD, retired adult and child psychiatrist from Massachusetts, USA, and Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association. Formerly an Associate Clinical Professor, Yale Child Study Center and University of Connecticut School of Medicine.
He has served as the Psychiatric Association President of the Massachusetts CFIDS/ME & FM Association and on the Guidelines Committee of the International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Education[edit | edit source]
- M.D., Yale School of Medicine
Writing Committees[edit | edit source]
Dr. Gurwitt was a member of the writing committee for several primers and manuals, including:
- 2017, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Diagnosis and Management in Young People: A Primer by Peter C. Rowe, Rosemary A. Underhill, Kenneth J. Friedman, Alan Gurwitt, Marvin S. Medow, Malcolm S. Schwartz, Nigel Speight, Julian M. Stewart, Rosamund Vallings and Katherine S. Rowe (Full Text)
- 2014, ME/CFS: A Primer For Clinical Practitioners] sponsored by the International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. Dr.Fred Friedberg chaired the committee. Other Primer writing committee members include: Rosemary Underhill, MB, BS; Lucinda Bateman, MD; Alison Bested, MD; Todd Davenport, DPT; Kenneth Friedman, PhD; Alan Gurwitt, MD; Leonard Jason, PhD; Charles Lapp, MD; Staci Stevens, MA; and Rosamund Vallings, MB, BS. Anthony Komaroff, MD wrote the foreword to the Primer. (Full Text)
- 2006, A Pediatric Case Definition for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Full Text)
Articles and letters[edit | edit source]
- 26 June 2015, Health Rising blog by Dr. Gurwitt - No Signs of Life at the Big Health Agencies </blockquote>
- June 2012, Dr. Alan Gurwitt's letter to DSM-V Committee of the APA
CFSAC[edit | edit source]
- Oct 2012, Presentation to the Chronic Fatigue Advisory Committee about the Massachusetts CFIDS/ME & FM Association including past and proposed projects.
Talks and interviews[edit | edit source]
- 12 Apr 2017, Episode 87 - ME/CFS Diagnosis, children with ME, the medical community with Alan Gurwitt, M.D.
See Also[edit | edit source]
- Massachusetts CFIDS/ME & FM Association
- ME/CFS: A Primer For Clinical Practitioners
- Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Diagnosis and Management in Young People: A Primer
References[edit | edit source]
- Rowe, Peter C.; Underhill, Rosemary A.; Friedman, Kenneth J.; Gurwitt, Alan; Medow, Marvin S.; Schwartz, Malcolm S.; Speight, Nigel; Stewart, Julian M.; Vallings, Rosamund; Rowe, Katherine S. (2017), "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Diagnosis and Management in Young People: A Primer", Frontiers in Pediatrics, 5 (121), doi:10.3389/fped.2017.00121
- International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (IACFS/ME); Friedberg, Fred; Bateman, Lucinda; Bested, Alison C; Davenport, Todd; Friedman, Kenneth J; Gurwitt, Alan R; Jason, Leonard A; Lapp, Charles W; Stevens, Staci R; Underhill, Rosemary A; Vallings, Rosamund (Jul 2014), "2014 Primer for Clinical Practitioners (CFS/ME)" (PDF), IACFS/ME
- Jason, Leonard A; Jordan, Karen; Miike, Teruhisa; Bell, David S; Lapp, Charles; Torres-Harding, Susan; Rowe, Kathy; Gurwitt, Alan; De Meirleir, Kenny; Van Hoof, Elke LS (2006), "A Pediatric Case Definition for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome", Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 13 (2-3): 1-44, doi:10.1300/J092v13n02_01