Rosemary A. Underhill, MB., B.S., is a Physician Consultant and a Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons. Underhill trained as a physician, a surgeon and an obstetrician in London, England and was a medical student who witnessed the Royal Free Hospital outbreak in 1955.
Underhill is a consultant and member of the board of Trustees of the New Jersey ME/CFS Association.
Hypothesis on the disease ME/CFS
Myalgic encephalomyelitis, chronic fatigue syndrome: An infectious disease - Medical Hypotheses December 2015 Volume 85, Issue 6, Pages 765–773
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis - Primer for Clinical Practitioners 2014 Edition IACFS/ME (Co-author.)
- A Consensus Manual for the Primary Care and Management of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome The Academy of Medicine of New Jersey and the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services. (Writing committee member.)
- 2006, Prevalence of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Chronic Fatigue Within Families of CFS Patients
"Abstract - The prevalence of CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and chronic fatigue were investigated in family members of CFS patients using a questionnaire-based study. Significant differences were seen between the prevalence of CFS in all groups of family members relative to the published community prevalence of 0.422% (spouses/partners: 3.2%, p < 0.001; offspring: 5.1%, p < .001; parents and siblings: 1.1%, p < 0.02; second and third degree blood relatives 0.8%, p < 0.02). The prevalence of CFS was higher in genetically unrelated household contacts and in nonresident genetic relatives than in the community, indicating that both household contact and genetic relationship are risk factors for CFS."
Open Letter to The Lancet
Two open letters to the editor of The Lancet urged the editor to commission a fully independent review of the PACE trial, which the journal had published in 2011. In 2016, Dr. Underhill, along with 41 colleagues in the ME/CFS field, signed the second letter.
- 10 February 2016, An open letter to The Lancet, again - Virology blog
- October 2012 Public Comment to CFSAC - "Suggested protocol for investigating cluster outbreaks of ME/CFS"
- Rosemary Underhill - Zoom Information
- Rosemary A. Underhill & Ruth O'Gorman. (2006). Prevalence of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Chronic Fatigue Within Families of CFS Patients. Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Vol. 13, Iss. 1, pp. 3-13. http://dx.doi.org/10.1300/J092v13n01_02