Alison Christine Bested, MD, FRCP(C): Haematological Pathologist; Environmental Health Clinic; Sunnybrook & Women’s College Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Dr. Bested's medical specialty practice has been dedicated to patients with complex chronic medical conditions including: Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity and persistent Lyme disease. She is a Clinical Associate Professor in the Department of Medicine at the University of British Columbia. She is works in Toronto and Vancouver, Canada.
Dr Alison Bested scholarship fund[edit | edit source]
A scholarship was founded in Dr Bested's name to honor her dedication to Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS), Fibromyalgia (FM) and Multiple Chemical Sensitivity(MCS) patients. Canadian Students enrolled in the Environmental Medicine elective at University of Toronto are eligible.
Canadian Consensus Criteria[edit | edit source]
Dr. Bested was one of the authors of the 2003 Canadian Consensus Criteria for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, published as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:Clinical Working Case Definition,Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols
Physician guideline[edit | edit source]
- Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Make the Diagnosis, a step-by-step process for physicians in order to make a diagnosis of ME/CFS successfully and to rule out other diseases
Open Letter to The Lancet[edit | edit source]
Two open letters to the editor of The Lancet urged the editor to commission a fully independent review of the PACE trial, which the journal had published in 2011. In 2016, Dr. Bested, along with 41 colleagues in the ME/CFS field, signed the second letter.
- 10 February 2016, An open letter to The Lancet, again - Virology blog
ME/CFS Common Data Element (CDE) Project[edit | edit source]
Dr Bested serves on the Baseline/Covariate Working Group of the Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Common Data Element (CDE) Project sponsored by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke and the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. This working group reviewed data collection instruments widely used by investigators in the ME/CFS field, and either recommended their use unchanged or (more often) proposed some modifications.
Notable studies in ME/CFS[edit | edit source]
- 2001, Chronic fatigue syndrome: neurological findings may be related to blood-brain barrier permeability. (Abstract)
- 2003, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Clinical Working Case Definition, Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols (Full Text)
- 2009, A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study of a probiotic in emotional symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome (Full Text
- 2015, Review of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: an evidence-based approach to diagnosis and management by clinicians (Abstract)
Talks and interviews[edit | edit source]
- 2011, "Tools to Stop Crashing, Start Pacing and Planning Your Health" - Allison Bested, MD at the 10th International IACFSME Conference, Patient Agenda
- 2016, 12th International IACFS/ME Biennial Clinical and Research Conference, Emerging Science and Clinical Care, Review of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia and Multiple Chemical Sensitivities/Environmental Sensitivities: Office Assessment and Management
- 2016, "An Update on ME/CFS" presented at Institute for Neuro Immune Medicine Research Seminar Series
- Oct 2016, Toronto M E October 2016 Protest: Message of Hope
Books[edit | edit source]
- 2002, The Fibromyalgia Cookbook: More Than 120 Easy and Delicious Recipes, ISBN-10: 1581822707
- 2008, Hope and Help for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia, ASIN: B00V1D68LU
- 2013, The Complete Fibromyalgia Health Diet Guide and Cookbook, ISBN-10: 0778804534
Online presence[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Carruthers, Bruce M.; Jain, Anil Kumar; De Meirleir, Kenny L.; Peterson, Daniel L.; Klimas, Nancy G.; Lerner, A. Martin; Bested, Alison C.; Flor-Henry, Pierre; Joshi, Pradip; Powles, A C Peter; Sherkey, Jeffrey A.; van de Sande, Marjorie I. (2003), "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Clinical Working Case Definition, Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols" (PDF), Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 11 (2): 7-115, doi:10.1300/J092v11n01_02
- Bested AC, Saunders PR, Logan AC. (2001). Chronic fatigue syndrome: neurological findings may be related to blood--brain barrier permeability. Medical Hypotheses. 2001 Aug;57(2):231-7.
- Rao, A. V., Bested, A. C., Beaulne, T. M., Katzman, M. A., Iorio, C., Berardi, J. M., & Logan, A. C. (2009). A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study of a probiotic in emotional symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome. Gut Pathogens, 1, 6. http://doi.org/10.1186/1757-4749-1-6
- Bested, AC; Marshall, LM (2015), "Review of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: an evidence-based approach to diagnosis and management by clinicians", Reviews on Environmental Health, 30 (4): 223-49, doi:10.1515/reveh-2015-0026, PMID 26613325