Alison Christine Bested, MD, FRCP(C): Haematological Pathologist; Environmental Health Clinic; Sunnybrook & Women’s College Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Her medical specialty practice has been dedicated to patients with complex chronic medical conditions including: Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity and persistent Lyme disease. She is a Clinical Associate Professor in the Department of Medicine at the University of British Columbia. She is works in Toronto and Vancouver, Canada.
Canadian Consensus Criteria
Dr. Besyed was one of the authors of the 2003 Canadian Consensus Criteria for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, published as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:Clinical Working Case Definition,Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols
Open Letter to The Lancet
Two open letters to the editor of The Lancet urged the editor to commission a fully independent review of the PACE trial, which the journal had published in 2011. In 2016, Dr. Bested, along with 41 colleagues in the ME/CFS field, signed the second letter.
- 10 February 2016, [http://www.virology.ws/2016/02/10/open-letter-lancet-again/ An open letter to The Lancet, again -
Dr Alison Bested scholarship fund
A scholarship was founded in Dr Bested's name to honor her dedication to Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS), Fibromyalgia (FM) and Multiple Chemical Sensitivity(MCS) patients. Canadian Students enrolled in the Environmental Medicine elective at University of Toronto are eligible.
Notable studies in ME/CFS
- 2015, Review of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: an evidence-based approach to diagnosis and management by clinicians (Abstract)
- 2009, A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study of a probiotic in emotional symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome (Full Text
- 2003, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Clinical Working Case Definition, Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols (Full Text)
- 2001, Chronic fatigue syndrome: neurological findings may be related to blood-brain barrier permeability. (Abstract)
- Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Make the Diagnosis, a step-by-step process for physicians in order to make a diagnosis of ME/CFS successfully and to rule out other diseases
Talks and interviews
- 2016, 12th International IACFS/ME Biennial Clinical and Research Conference, Emerging Science and Clinical Care, Review of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia and Multiple Chemical Sensitivities/Environmental Sensitivities: Office Assessment and Management
- 2016, "An Update on ME/CFS" presented at Institute for Neuro Immune Medicine Research Seminar Series
- Oct 2016, Toronto M E October 2016 Protest: Message of Hope
- 2011, "Tools to Stop Crashing, Start Pacing and Planning Your Health" - Allison Bested, MD at the 10th International IACFSME Conference, Patient Agenda
- 2013, The Complete Fibromyalgia Health Diet Guide and Cookbook, ISBN-10: 0778804534
- 2008, Hope and Help for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia, ASIN: B00V1D68LU
- 2002, The Fibromyalgia Cookbook: More Than 120 Easy and Delicious Recipes, ISBN-10: 1581822707
- Carruthers, Bruce M.; Jain, Anil Kumar; De Meirleir, Kenny L.; Peterson, Daniel L.; Klimas, Nancy G.; Lerner, A. Martin; Bested, Alison C.; Flor-Henry, Pierre; Joshi, Pradip; Powles, A C Peter; Sherkey, Jeffrey A.; van de Sande, Marjorie I. (2003), "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Clinical Working Case Definition, Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols" (PDF), Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 11 (2): 7-115, doi:10.1300/J092v11n01_02
- Bested, AC; Marshall, LM (2015), "Review of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: an evidence-based approach to diagnosis and management by clinicians", Reviews on Environmental Health, 30 (4): 223-49, PMID 26613325, doi:10.1515/reveh-2015-0026
- Rao, A. V., Bested, A. C., Beaulne, T. M., Katzman, M. A., Iorio, C., Berardi, J. M., & Logan, A. C. (2009). A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study of a probiotic in emotional symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome. Gut Pathogens, 1, 6. http://doi.org/10.1186/1757-4749-1-6
- Bested AC, Saunders PR, Logan AC. (2001). Chronic fatigue syndrome: neurological findings may be related to blood--brain barrier permeability. Medical Hypotheses. 2001 Aug;57(2):231-7.