Temporomandibular joint disorder

From MEpedia, a crowd-sourced encyclopedia of ME and CFS science and history
The TMJ joint attaches the lower jaw to the rest of the skull. The temporomandibular joint is the joint between the mandible (light blue) and the temporal bone (orange) of the skull.[1]

Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ/TMD) can cause jaw pain and pain in the muscles that control your jaw. A combination of factors can cause this disorder such as genetics, arthritis or jaw injury.[2]

Dentists and doctors can diagnose TMJ/TMD, including Ear, Nose and Throat Specialists (ENT), and oral surgeons.[1]

TMJ/TMD is more common in fibromyalgia patients than in ME/CFS patients.[3][4]

Symptoms[edit | edit source]

TMD may cause severe pain and discomfort, and can affect either one or both sides of your face. It can be temporary or last many years. It is more common in women and among people between the ages of 20 and 40.[5]

Common symptoms[edit | edit source]

  • Headaches
  • Jaw pain
  • Clicking in the jaw, which may be painful
  • Difficulty opening or closing the mouth or chewing
  • Jaws that get "stuck" or "lock" in the open- or closed-mouth position
  • Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
  • Pain or tenderness in your face, jaw joint area, neck and shoulders, and in or around the ear when you chew, speak, or open your mouth wide
  • Problems when you try to open your mouth wide
  • Clicking, popping, or grating sounds in the jaw joint when you open or close your mouth or chew.
  • Trouble chewing or a sudden uncomfortable bite -- as if the upper and lower teeth are not fitting together properly
  • Swelling on the side of the face
  • Other symptoms may include toothaches, dizziness, earaches, hearing problems, or upper shoulder pain.[6][5]

Examination and tests[edit | edit source]

Tooth decay, sinus problems, arthritis, or gum disease need to be ruled out. Jaw joints are checked for pain or tenderness, clicks, pops, or grating sounds when you move them. Locking when you open or close your mouth and your bite will be examined as well as a check of facial musles. X-rays, MRI or CT scan may be ordered.[7]

ME/CFS[edit | edit source]

ME/CFS patients may have comorbid TMD, although it is not as common as many other comorbid conditions.[4]

A study by Newton et al. (2015) found that ME/CFS patients who also had TMD had greater autonomic nervous system dysfunction.[8] The study found that 31% had both TMD and ME/CFS, and the remaining 69% had TMD without ME/CFS.[8]

Fibromyalgia[edit | edit source]

Many people with fibromyalgia develop temporomandibular disorder, previously known as TMJ.[3]

A review by Soares et al (2015) found fibromyalgia has "characteristics that constitute predisposing and triggering factors for TMD".[9]

See also[edit | edit source]

Learn more[edit | edit source]

References[edit | edit source]

  1. 1.0 1.1 "Visual guide to TMD/TMJ". WebMD. Retrieved April 19, 2022.
  2. "TMJ disorders - Symptoms and causes". Mayo Clinic. Retrieved August 22, 2018.
  3. 3.0 3.1 Clauw, Daniel J.; Arnold, Lesley M.; McCarberg, Bill H. (September 2011). "The Science of Fibromyalgia". Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 86 (9): 907–911. doi:10.4065/mcp.2011.0206. ISSN 0025-6196. PMC 3258006. PMID 21878603.
  4. 4.0 4.1 Carruthers, BM; van de Sande, MI; De Meirleir, KL; Klimas, NG; Broderick, G; Mitchell, T; Staines, D; Powles, ACP; Speight, N; Vallings, R; Bateman, L; Bell, DS; Carlo-Stella, N; Chia, J; Darragh, A; Gerken, A; Jo, D; Lewis, DP; Light, AR; Light, KC; Marshall-Gradisnik, S; McLaren-Howard, J; Mena, I; Miwa, K; Murovska, M; Stevens, SR (2012), Myalgic encephalomyelitis: Adult & Paediatric: International Consensus Primer for Medical Practitioners (PDF), ISBN 978-0-9739335-3-6
  5. 5.0 5.1 "Temporomandibular Disorders (TMJ & TMD)". WebMD. Retrieved August 22, 2018.
  6. "Temporomandibular disorder". John Hopkins Medicine. Retrieved November 28, 2021.
  7. "Temporomandibular Disorders (TMJ & TMD)". WebMD. Retrieved August 22, 2018.
  8. 8.0 8.1 Robinson, Lucy J.; Durham, Justin; MacLachlan, Laura L.; Newton, Julia L. (October 2, 2015). "Autonomic function in chronic fatigue syndrome with and without painful temporomandibular disorder". Fatigue: Biomedicine, Health & Behavior. 3 (4): 205–219. doi:10.1080/21641846.2015.1091152. ISSN 2164-1846.
  9. Soares Gui, Maisa; Pimentel, Marcele Jardim; Rizzatti-Barbosa, C'elia Marisa (March 1, 2015). "Temporomandibular disorders in fibromyalgia syndrome: a short-communication". Revista Brasileira de Reumatologia (English Edition). 55 (2): 189–194. doi:10.1016/j.rbre.2014.07.004. ISSN 2255-5021 – via ScienceDirect.