Headaches of a new type, pattern, or severity occur commonly in ME/CFS.
Presentation[edit | edit source]
Prevalence[edit | edit source]
- In a 2001 Belgian study, 87.8% of patients meeting the Fukuda criteria and 92.0% of patients meeting the Holmes criteria, in a cohort of 2073 CFS patients, reported headaches.
Symptom recognition[edit | edit source]
- In the Canadian Consensus Criteria, pain is a required criteria for diagnosis. It requires that "there is a significant degree of myalgia. Pain can be experienced in the muscles, and/or joints, and is often widespread and migratory in nature. Often there are significant headaches of new type, pattern or severity."
- In the Fukuda criteria, the symptom of headaches of a new type, pattern, or severity can be used to help form a diagnosis.
- In the Holmes criteria, generalized headaches (of a type, severity, or pattern that is different from headaches the patient may have had in the premorbid state) are an optional criteria for diagnosis, under the section Minor Symptom Criteria.
Research studies[edit | edit source]
Possible causes[edit | edit source]
Potential treatments[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Berne, Katrina (December 1, 1995). Running on Empty: The Complete Guide to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFIDS) (2nd ed.). Hunter House. p. 59. ISBN 978-0897931915.
- De Becker, Pascale; McGregor, Neil; De Meirleir, Kenny (December 2001). "A definition‐based analysis of symptoms in a large cohort of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome". Journal of Internal Medicine. 250 (3): 234–240. doi:10.1046/j.1365-2796.2001.00890.x.
- A Clinical Case Definition and Guidelines for Medical Practitioners: An Overview of the Canadian Consensus Document Pg 8. 2005.
- The CDC (Fukuda 1994) Definition for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- The 1988 Holmes Definition for CFS
- Soriano, Joan B.; Allan, Maya; Alsokhn, Carine; Alwan, Nisreen A.; Askie, Lisa; Davis, Hannah E.; Diaz, Janet V.; Dua, Tarun; de Groote, Wouter; Jakob, Robert; Lado, Marta; Marshall, John; Murthy, Srin; Preller, Jacobus; Relan, Pryanka; Schiess, Nicoline; Seahwag, Archana (October 6, 2021), A clinical case definition of post COVID-19 condition by a Delphi consensus, World Health Organization (WHO) clinical case definition working group on post COVID-19 condition, World Health Organization
World Health Organization (WHO) - "A specialized agency of the United Nations that is concerned with public health. It was established on 7 April 1948, and is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland. The WHO is a member of the United Nations Development Group. Its predecessor, the Health Organization, was an agency of the League of Nations." The International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD) is maintained by WHO.