New allergies and intolerances
The topic of this article is the development of new sensitivities or the development of new allergies and intolerances which were not present before illness, or allergies or intolerances that have worsened since the onset of illness. Allergies, sensitivities and intolerances are recognized occurrences and common in ME/CFS patients. The development of new sensitivities, such as to food, alcohol, or drugs, after the onset of ME/CFS is common. In Long COVID, a large international survey found that some patients experienced new allergies including anaphylaxis, and worsening of existing allergies.
Symptom recognition[edit | edit source]
- The International Consensus Criteria lists sensitivities to food, medications, odors or chemicals as an optional criteria for diagnosis, under the section C. Immune, gastro-intestinal and genitourinary impairments.
- 2018, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention note ME/CFS patients can have "allergies and sensitivities to foods, odors, chemicals, or noise."
Types of sensitivities[edit | edit source]
- Chemical sensitivities
- Food sensitivities
- Medicine sensitivities
- Odor sensitivities
- allergies which can cause anaphylatic shock
Prevalence[edit | edit source]
- In a 2001 Belgian study, 48.5% of patients meeting the Fukuda criteria and 54.8% of patients meeting the Holmes criteria, in a cohort of 2073 CFS patients, reported new sensitivities to food or drugs.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Carruthers, BM; van de Sande, MI; De Meirleir, KL; Klimas, NG; Broderick, G; Mitchell, T; Staines, D; Powles, ACP; Speight, N; Vallings, R; Bateman, L; Baumgarten-Austrheim, B; Bell, DS; Carlo-Stella, N; Chia, J; Darragh, A; Jo, D; Lewis, DP; Light, AR; Marshall-Gradisnik, S; Mena, I; Mikovits, JA; Miwa, K; Murovska, M; Pall, ML; Stevens, SR (August 22, 2011), "Myalgic encephalomyelitis: International Consensus Criteria", Journal of Internal Medicine, 270 (4): 327–338, doi:10.1111/j.1365-2796.2011.02428.x, PMID 21777306
- "Symptoms | Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)". Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. May 18, 2018. Retrieved August 23, 2018.
- "New Leaflet: Sensitivities, Intolerances, and Hypersensitivities in ME/CFS | The ME Association". meassociation.org.uk. October 21, 2021. Retrieved May 7, 2022.
- Davis, Hannah E.; Assaf, Gina S.; McCorkell, Lisa; Wei, Hannah; Low, Ryan J.; Re'em, Yochai; Redfield, Signe; Austin, Jared P.; Akrami, Athena (August 1, 2021). "Characterizing long COVID in an international cohort: 7 months of symptoms and their impact". eClinicalMedicine. 38. doi:10.1016/j.eclinm.2021.101019. ISSN 2589-5370. PMID 34308300.
- De Becker, Pascale; McGregor, Neil; De Meirleir, Kenny (December 2001). "A definition‐based analysis of symptoms in a large cohort of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome". Journal of Internal Medicine. 250 (3): 234–240. doi:10.1046/j.1365-2796.2001.00890.x.