Chemical sensitivities mean that symptoms are being experienced in response to exposure to certain chemicals, which would not trigger adverse symptoms for most people, at least at low concentrations.
Symptoms of chemical sensitivities can include: headache, migraine, cognitive impairment, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, cardiac abnormalities, skin rashes, asthma, and anaphylaxis.
Chemical sensitivities are recognized as a common symptom of ME/CFS, and some people react to so many substances that they also meet the diagnostic criteria for Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS).
Symptom recognition[edit | edit source]
- The International Consensus Criteria lists sensitivities to food, medications, odors or chemicals as an optional criteria for diagnosis, under the section C. Immune, gastro-intestinal and genitourinary Impairments.
- 2018, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention note ME/CFS patients can have "allergies and sensitivities to foods, odors, chemicals, or noise."
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "1.3 Clinical features of the disease". The Italian Consensus on Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) -- Consensus Document and Guidelines on Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS). The Italian Workgroup on MCS. Published 23 May 2019. University of Milan, Italy.
- "1.2 Triggering of MCS", The Italian Consensus on Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) -- Consensus Document and Guidelines on Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS). The Italian Workgroup on MCS. Published 23 May 2019. University of Milan, Italy.
- Rossi, S; Pitidis, A (2017). "Multiple Chemical Sensitivity: Review of the State of the Art in Epidemiology, Diagnosis, and Future Perspectives". Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 60 (2): 138–146. doi:10.1097/JOM.0000000000001215. PMC5794238. PMID 29111991.
- A Scientific Review of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity: Identifying Key Research Needs. Published in 2010 by the National Industrial Chemicals Notification and Assessment Scheme, Australian Government. Canberra, Australia http://test.nicnas.gov.au/Media/Latest_News/MCS.asp
- Valderrama Rodríguez M, Revilla López MC, Blas Diez MP, Vázquez Fernández del Pozo S, Martín Sánchez JI. Review of the scientific evidence on Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. Spanish Ministry of health, social services and equality. The Aragon Institute of Health Sciences, Spain; 2015. p.31
- Genuis, SJ (May 2013). "Chemical sensitivity: pathophysiology or pathopsychology?". Clinical Therapeutics (Review). 35 (5): 572–7. doi:10.1016/j.clinthera.2013.04.003. PMID 23642291.
- Ross PM, Whysner J, Covello VT, Kuschner M, Rifkind AB, Sedler MJ, Trichopoulos D, Williams GM (1999). "Olfaction and Symptoms in the Multiple Chemical Sensitivities Syndrome". Preventive Medicine. 28 (5): 467–480. doi:10.1006/pmed.1998.0469. PMID 10329337.
- Graveling RA, Pilkington A, George JP, Butler MP, Tannahill SN (1999). "A review of multiple chemical sensitivity". Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 56 (2): 73–85. doi:10.1136/oem.56.2.73. PMC . PMID 10448311.
- "Overlapping Conditions – American ME and CFS Society". ammes.org. Retrieved Aug 12, 2018.
- Dellwo, Adrienne (Feb 26, 2018). "Illness That Come Along with Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome". Verywell Health. Retrieved Aug 23, 2018.
- "Multiple chemical sensitivity: a 1999 consensus". Arch. Environ. Health. 54 (3): 147–9. 1999. doi:10.1080/00039899909602251. PMID 10444033.
- Carruthers, BM; van de Sande, MI; De Meirleir, KL; Klimas, NG; Broderick, G; Mitchell, T; Staines, D; Powles, ACP; Speight, N; Vallings, R; Bateman, L; Baumgarten-Austrheim, B; Bell, DS; Carlo-Stella, N; Chia, J; Darragh, A; Jo, D; Lewis, DP; Light, AR; Marshall-Gradisnik, S; Mena, I; Mikovits, JA; Miwa, K; Murovska, M; Pall, ML; Stevens, SR (Aug 22, 2011), "Myalgic encephalomyelitis: International Consensus Criteria", Journal of Internal Medicine, 270 (4): 327–338, doi:10.1111/j.1365-2796.2011.02428.x, PMID 21777306
- "Symptoms | Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) | CDC". www.cdc.gov. May 18, 2018. Retrieved Aug 23, 2018.