List of differential diagnoses for ME/CFS
Many different diagnoses have been suggest for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS). A number of the common differential diagnoses also commonly occur in patients with ME/CFS, so they should not be regarded as conditions that automatically exclude the diagnosis of ME/CFS.
ME/CFS[edit | edit source]
|Differential diagnosis||Fukuda criteria||International Consensus Criteria:12||Canadian Consensus Criteria||Institute of Medicine||Other|
|Idiopathic chronic fatigue||yes||?||?||?||?|
|Chronic fatigue due to another medical condition||?||?||?||?||?|
|Unexplained chronic fatigue||?||?||?||?||?|
|Primary sleep disorders e.g. sleep apnea||?||?||?||?||?|
|Endocrine diseases e.g., Addison’s disease||?||?||yes||?||?|
|Depression||?||?||?||?||Hawk et al. 2006, Griffith et al. 2008, DeLuca et al. 2004|
Other differential diagnoses[edit | edit source]
- Other neurological diseases and disorders
- Autoimmune disorders
- Infectious diseases
- Endocrine diseases
- B12 deficiency
- poisons, e.g. chronic ciguatera:12:4-5
- Celiac disease
Notable articles[edit | edit source]
- 1994, Consideration of narcolepsy in the differential diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome - (Abstract)
- 1998, Phosphate diabetes in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome - (Abstract)
- 2000, Differential diagnosis: The challenge of chronic fatigue - (Full text)
- "Many syndromes and diseases have the symptom of chronic fatigue as the most distressing, unremitting complaint. It is the consideration of these other possible causes - their confirmation or exclusion - which constitutes the discipline of ditferential diagnosis. Syndromes which are "look alikes," or indeed identical syndromes, include post-viral states, chronic viraemias, neoplastic syndromes, neurological diseases, especially in the eariy substantial stages of neuromuscular disease, psychiatric disorders, and some forms of both organic and inorganic poisoning. To mislabel any one of these as CFS or ME, or to leave a patient with CFS undiagnosed as such, means the discipline of differential diagnosis has failed.":4-5
- 2001, Chronic fatigue syndrome: oxidative stress and dietary modifications - (Full text) - Celiac disease
- 2004, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Differential Diagnosis with Depression - (Abstract)
- 2006, Differential diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome and major depressive disorder -The (Full text)
- 2008, A systematic review of chronic fatigue syndrome: don't assume it's depression - (Full text)
See also[edit | edit source]
- Differential diagnosis
- Misdiagnosis of myalgic encephalomyelitis and chronic fatigue syndrome
- Comorbidities of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
- Myalgic encephalomyelitis
- Primer for doctors and researchers
- Idiopathic chronic fatigue
Learn more[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Carruthers, BM; van de Sande, MI; De Meirleir, KL; Klimas, NG; Broderick, G; Mitchell, T; Staines, D; Powles, ACP; Speight, N; Vallings, R; Bateman, L; Bell, DS; Carlo-Stella, N; Chia, J; Darragh, A; Gerken, A; Jo, D; Lewis, DP; Light, AR; Light, KC; Marshall-Gradisnik, S; McLaren-Howard, J; Mena, I; Miwa, K; Murovska, M; Stevens, SR (2012), Myalgic encephalomyelitis: Adult & Paediatric: International Consensus Primer for Medical Practitioners (PDF), ISBN 978-0-9739335-3-6
- Carruthers, Bruce M.; Jain, Anil Kumar; De Meirleir, Kenny L.; Peterson, Daniel L.; Klimas, Nancy G.; Lerner, A. Martin; Bested, Alison C.; Flor-Henry, Pierre; Joshi, Pradip; Powles, A C Peter; Sherkey, Jeffrey A.; van de Sande, Marjorie I. (2003), "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Clinical Working Case Definition, Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols" (PDF), Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 11 (2): 7-115, doi:10.1300/J092v11n01_02
- Fukuda, K.; Straus, S.E.; Hickie, I.; Sharpe, M. C.; Dobbins, J. G.; Komaroff, A. (December 15, 1994). "The chronic fatigue syndrome: a comprehensive approach to its definition and study. International Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Study Group" (PDF). Annals of Internal Medicine. American College of Physicians. 121 (12): 953–959. ISSN 0003-4819. PMID 7978722. Unknown parameter
- Hawk, Caroline; Jason, Leonard A.; Torres-Harding, Susan (September 1, 2006). "Differential diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome and major depressive disorder". International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 13 (3): 244–251. doi:10.1207/s15327558ijbm1303_8. ISSN 1532-7558.
- Griffith, James P.; Zarrouf, Fahd A. (2008). "A Systematic Review of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Don't Assume It's Depression". Primary Care Companion to The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 10 (2): 120–128. ISSN 1523-5998. PMC 2292451. PMID 18458765.
- Ricker, Joseph H., ed. (December 23, 2003). Differential Diagnosis in Adult Neuropsychological Assessment. Springer Publishing Company. ISBN 978-0-8261-9727-6.
- Pearn, John (January 1, 2000). "Differential Diagnosis". Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. 7 (4): 17–31. doi:10.1300/J092v07n04_03. ISSN 1057-3321.
- Logan, Alan C.; Wong, Cathy (October 1, 2001). "Chronic fatigue syndrome: oxidative stress and dietary modifications". Alternative Medicine Review. 6 (5): 450–460.
- Ambrogetti, Antonio; Olson, Leslie G (April 1994). "Consideration of narcolepsy in the differential diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome". Medical Journal of Australia. 160 (7): 426–429. doi:10.5694/j.1326-5377.1994.tb138269.x. ISSN 0025-729X.
- De Lorenzo, F.; Hargreaves, J.; Kakkar, V. V. (April 1, 1998). "Phosphate diabetes in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome". Postgraduate Medical Journal. 74 (870): 229–232. doi:10.1136/pgmj.74.870.229. ISSN 0032-5473. PMID 9683977. Cite has empty unknown parameter:
Canadian Consensus Criteria (CCC) - A set of diagnostic criteria used to diagnose ME/CFS, developed by a group of practicing ME/CFS clinicians in 2003. The CCC is often considered to be the most complex criteria, but possibly the most accurate, with the lowest number of patients meeting the criteria. Led to the development of the International Consensus Criteria (ICC) in 2011.