David Lyons Kaufman, MD, is an Internal Medicine physician at the Center for Complex Diseases and the former Medical Director of the Open Medicine Institute, Mountain View, California. He also practices at the Center for Healing Neurology
Open Letters[edit | edit source]
- Two open letters to the editor of The Lancet urged the editor to commission a fully independent review of the PACE trial, which the journal had published in 2011. In 2016, Kaufman, along with 41 colleagues in the ME/CFS field, signed the second letter. An open letter to The Lancet, again - Virology blog
- Dr. Kaufman signed "Open Letter to Netflix Regarding the 'Afflicted' Docuseries".
Continuing education credit video[edit | edit source]
- 2018, The video Diagnosis and Management of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is narrated by Kaufman and is part of a continuing education module made available through the American Medical Women's Association to be viewed along with Unrest film. Medical professionals can then take a 10-minute online test by Indiana University School of Medicine.
Clinic location[edit | edit source]
Center for Complex Diseases, California, United States
Talks and interviews[edit | edit source]
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2021, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Essentials of Diagnosis and Management(Full text)
- 2021, A comprehensive examination of severely ill ME/CFS patients(Full text)
- 2021, Diagnosis of Mast Cell Activation Syndrome: A Global Consensus 2(Full text)
Online presence[edit | edit source]
- Center for Complex Diseases
- 2500 Hospital Dr, Suite 4b
- Mountain View, CA 94040, United States
- Phone: [447-3001|(650) 447-3001]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "David L. Kaufman, MD". Center for Healing Neurology. Retrieved November 10, 2021.
- Center for Healing Neurology (May 21, 2020). "Dr David Kaufman is back in clinic! We love him for his decades of experience with infectious disease, Lyme, MCAS and all things internal medicine. He is an internationally known go-to-guy for CFS/ME (chronic fatigue syndrome/ myalgic encephalomyelitis). We are so lucky to have him here & available to see YOU! . ". Facebook. Retrieved November 10, 2021.
- Tuller, David (February 10, 2016). "An open letter to The Lancet, again". Virology blog. Retrieved October 18, 2018.
- Kaufman, David (October 16, 2018). "Diagnosis and Management of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome". YouTube. Unrest Film.
- "Unrest Continuing Medical Education Program". UNREST. Retrieved October 18, 2018.
- Bateman, Lucinda; Bested, Alison C.; Bonilla, Hector F.; Chheda, Bela V.; Chu, Lily; Curtin, Jennifer M.; Dempsey, Tania T.; Dimmock, Mary E.; Dowell, Theresa G.; Yellman, Brayden P.; Felsenstein, Donna; Kaufman, David L.; Klimas, Nancy G.; Komaroff, Anthony L.; Lapp, Charles W.; Levine, Susan M.; Montoya, Jose G.; Natelson, Benjamin H.; Peterson, Daniel L.; Podell, Richard N.; Rey, Irma R.; Ruhoy, Ilene S.; Vera-Nunez, Maria A. (November 1, 2021). "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Essentials of Diagnosis and Management". Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 96 (11): 2861–2878. doi:10.1016/j.mayocp.2021.07.004. ISSN 0025-6196. PMID 34454716.
- Chang, Chia-Jung; Hung, Li-Yuan; Kogelnik, Andreas M.; Kaufman, David; Aiyar, Raeka S.; Chu, Angela M.; Wilhelmy, Julie; Li, Peng; Tannenbaum, Linda; Xiao, Wenzhong; Davis, Ronald W. (October 2021). "A Comprehensive Examination of Severely Ill ME/CFS Patients". Healthcare. 9 (10): 1290. doi:10.3390/healthcare9101290.
- Afrin, Lawrence B.; Ackerley, Mary B.; Bluestein, Linda S.; Brewer, Joseph H.; Brook, Jill B.; Buchanan, Ariana D.; Cuni, Jill R.; Davey, William P.; Dempsey, Tania T.; Dorff, Shanda R.; Dubravec, Martin S.; Guggenheim, Alena G.; Hindman, Kimberly J.; Hoffman, Bruce; Kaufman, David L.; Kratzer, Stephanie J.; Lee, Theodore M.; Marantz, Mindy S.; Maxwell, Andrew J.; McCann, Kelly K.; McKee, Dwight L.; Menk Otto, Laurie; Pace, Laura A.; Perkins, Dahra D.; Radovsky, Laurie; Raleigh, Mary S.; Rapaport, Sonia A.; Reinhold, Emma J.; Renneker, Mark L.; Robinson, William A.; Roland, Aaron M.; Rosenbloom, E. Scott; Rowe, Peter C.; Ruhoy, Ilene S.; Saperstein, David S.; Schlosser, David A.; Schofield, Jill R.; Settle, Janet E.; Weinstock, Leonard B.; Wengenroth, Martina; Westaway, Mark; Xi, Shijun Cindy; Molderings, Gerhard J. (May 1, 2021). "Diagnosis of mast cell activation syndrome: a global "consensus-2"". Diagnosis. 8 (2): 137–152. doi:10.1515/dx-2020-0005. ISSN 2194-802X.
myalgic encephalomyelitis (M.E.) - A disease often marked by neurological symptoms, but fatigue is sometimes a symptom as well. Some diagnostic criteria distinguish it from chronic fatigue syndrome, while other diagnostic criteria consider it to be a synonym for chronic fatigue syndrome. A defining characteristic of ME is post-exertional malaise (PEM), or post-exertional neuroimmune exhaustion (PENE), which is a notable exacerbation of symptoms brought on by small exertions. PEM can last for days or weeks. Symptoms can include cognitive impairments, muscle pain (myalgia), trouble remaining upright (orthostatic intolerance), sleep abnormalities, and gastro-intestinal impairments, among others. An estimated 25% of those suffering from ME are housebound or bedbound. The World Health Organization (WHO) classifies ME as a neurological disease.