List of deaths caused by myalgic encephalomyelitis or chronic fatigue syndrome
When Sophia Mirza, a young artist, died in 2005 her death was widely reported as the first death from ME/CFS, but Sophia's may not have been the first death certificate stating that the cause of death was ME or chronic fatigue syndrome. After Mirza's death, Merryn Crofts died from ME shortly after her 21st birthday.
|Name||Age at death||Died||Notes|
|Brynmor John||54||1988||Collapsed outside the House of Commons gym, after being told to exercise for ME.|
|Emily Collingridge||30||2012||Died from "respiratory arrest in an individual with clinically diagnosed ME due to the side-effects of prescription drugs and aspiration of gastric contents" during a long hospital admission. Emily became tube fed due to ME, doubly incontinent, suffered extreme pain and transient blindness and epidoses of paralysis. Ill with ME since she was six years old.|
|Merryn Crofts||21||2017||Merryn's death was due to severe malnutrition after the withdrawal of her nutrition due to ME. Doctors had previously suggested her weight loss was due to anorexia but investigating found intestinal failure and swallowing problems. She had a feeding tube, then an intravenous nutrition line, but it became infected. Merryn was bedbound with extreme sensitivity to light, convulsions, breathing problems and paralysis.|
|Sophia Mirza||32||2005||Causes of death: 1. Acute renal failure arising from the effects of chronic fatigue syndrome; 2. previous meningitis; high body mass index, dorsal root ganglionitis; and hepatic steatosis. Severe infection of her spine was found at autopsy.Severe ME Awareness Day created in memory of her.|
|No name given||?||2003||Richard Senior that reported his wife died in North Wales, and had CFS recorded on her death certificate. |
Publications[edit | edit source]
In 2010, Professor Malcolm Hooper published Magical Medicine: How to Make a Disease Disappear, which described the deaths of Sophia Mirza, Merryn Crofts, Brynmor John MP, who collapsed outside the House of Commons gyms after being told to exercise by his doctor, and many others whose deaths were attributed to ME.:15-17
See also[edit | edit source]
- Sophia Mirza
- Merryn Crofts
- Brynmor John
- Causes of death
- Severe and very severe ME
- Memorial lists
- Deceased people with ME, CFS, and/or FMS (category)
Learn more[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Senior, Richard (Jul 26, 2006). "Not, sadly, the first". New Scientist. Comment section. Retrieved Aug 10, 2018.
- Hooper, Malcolm (Feb 12, 2020). "Magical Medicine: How to Make a Disease Disappear" (PDF). Contributions from members of the ME community. Researched by Margaret Williams.
- "In Remembrance: Emily Rose Collingridge" (PDF). Invest in ME Research. Jul 2017.
- Mirza, Sophia. "Certified Copy of an Entry - Death Certificate". SophiaAndME.org.uk.
- Hooper, Rowan (Jun 16, 2006). "First official UK death from chronic fatigue syndrome". New Scientist. Retrieved Aug 10, 2018.
- "Neuropathological Report". www.sophiaandme.org.uk. Retrieved Aug 10, 2018.
- Hooper, Malcolm (Feb 12, 2010). "Press release" (PDF).