Definitions of ME and CFS
ME[edit | edit source]
- 1986 Ramsay definition
- 2007 Nightingale definition
- 2011 International Consensus Criteria (ICC)
- 2014 London criteria
The International Consensus Criteria is currently used in some research and by few clinicians in some countries. Ramsay definition, Nightingale definition and London criteria are currently not in use.
CFS[edit | edit source]
- 1988 CDC case definition ("Holmes criteria")
- 1991 Oxford criteria*
- 1994 CDC case definition ("Fukuda criteria")* (CDC-1994)
- 2005 CDC case definition ("Reeves criteria")*
The Holmes criteria is currently not in use. The Oxford criteria is used in the UK by clinicians and researchers. Fukuda criteria is used in research by several countries including the USA and sometimes in the UK. Reeves criteria is currently being used in the NIH Post-Infectious ME/CFS Study but overall it is not in use.
Combined (ME/CFS)[edit | edit source]
The Canadian Consensus Criteria is sometimes used by clinicians and for research in many countries but has not been officially adopted by most countries including the USA. NICE guidelines are used by clinicians in the UK.
SEID[edit | edit source]
Proposed for use in the USA in clinical settings but has not been officially implemented. The NIH Post-Infectious ME/CFS Study is using this criteria along with three other criteria.
Note on Definition flaws[edit | edit source]
Definitions with a asterisk (*) are considered to be by most ME/CFS patients, many ME/CFS patients groups, and several ME/CFS researchers as being seriously flawed in that these criteria capture individuals suffering from Chronic Fatigue and not Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis or Systemic Exertion Intolerance Disease.
Comparison[edit | edit source]
- 2017, Patients diagnosed with Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome also fit systemic exertion intolerance disease criteria (Lily Chu), (Jane Norris), (Ian Valencia) & (Jose Montoya)
- 2016, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome versus Systemic Exertion Intolerance Disease (Leonard Jason)
- 2015, Accurate diagnosis of myalgic encephalomyelitis and chronic fatigue syndrome based upon objective test methods for characteristic symptoms (Frank Twisk)
- 2015, Case Definition Comparison - Graph 1
- 2012, Jason, Leonard A.; Brown, Abigail; Clyne, Erin; Bartgis, Lindsey; Evans, Meredyth; Brown, Molly (September 2012), "Contrasting case definitions for chronic fatigue syndrome, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome and myalgic encephalomyelitis", Evaluation & the Health Professions, 35 (3): 280–304, doi:10.1177/0163278711424281, ISSN 1552-3918, PMID 22158691
- 2003, Jason, Leonard A.; Helgerson, Jena; Torres-Harding, Susan R.; Carrico, Adam W.; Taylor, Renee R. (March 2003), "Variability in diagnostic criteria for chronic fatigue syndrome may result in substantial differences in patterns of symptoms and disability", Evaluation & the Health Professions, 26 (1): 3–22, ISSN 0163-2787, PMID 12629919
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
See: Comparative Graphs - Case Definition Comparison - Graph 1
- CFS vs SEID - Tandfonline The Four-symptom criteria is noted.
- CFS and ME: Toward An Empirical Case Definition - NCBI - NLM - NIH.gov See: Graph - 1
- Excluding Factors: Jason Critiques the IOM Definition for ME/CFS - Health Rising - Cort Johnson The Four-symptom criteria is noted.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- The Clinical Features of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
- The Nightingale Definition of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (M.E.)
- Myalgic encephalomyelitis: International Consensus Criteria
- Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME). Criteria and clinical guidelines 2014.
- Chronic fatigue syndrome: a working case definition.
- A report--chronic fatigue syndrome: guidelines for research.
- The chronic fatigue syndrome: a comprehensive approach to its definition and study. International Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Study Group.
- Chronic fatigue syndrome--a clinically empirical approach to its definition and study.
- Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Clinical Working Case Definition, Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (or encephalopathy): diagnosis and management
- Proposed Diagnostic Criteria for ME/CFS