Doctor Jarred Younger is an American researcher who leads the Neuroinflammation, Pain & Fatigue lab at the University of Birmingham, Alabama, United States. He previously worked at the Stanford ME/CFS Initiative with Jose Montoya, as an Assistant Professor involved in a notable study highlighting leptin levels and ME/CFS.
He is currently funded by the U.S. National Institutes of Health and Department of Defense to study new techniques for diagnosing and treating neuroinflammation in ME/CFS, fibromyalgia and Gulf War Illness. In particular his work focuses on the role of microglia.
Dr. Younger is a member of the Working Group which offers their expertise and resources to the ME/CFS Collaborative Research Center at Stanford University.
ME/CFS Common Data Element (CDE) Project[edit | edit source]
Chair (Overall/Cognitive) of the Neurologic/Cognitive/CNS Imaging Working Group of the Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Common Data Element (CDE) Project sponsored by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Awards[edit | edit source]
- 2016 Ramsay Award Program grant recipient, sponsored by the Solve ME/CFS Initiative for Advanced Non-Invasive Analysis in ME/CFS Diagnosis and Treatment Decisions
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2010, Low-dose naltrexone for the treatment of fibromyalgia: findings of a small, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, counterbalanced, crossover trial assessing daily pain levels(Full Text)
- 2013, Fibromyalgia Symptoms Are Reduced by Low-Dose Naltrexone: A Pilot Study(Full Text)
- 2013, Daily cytokine fluctuations, driven by leptin, are associated with fatigue severity in chronic fatigue syndrome: Evidence of inflammatory pathology(Full Text)
- 2017, Cytokine signature associated with disease severity in chronic fatigue syndrome patients(Full Text)
- 2019, Evidence of widespread metabolite abnormalities in Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome: assessment with whole-brain magnetic resonance spectroscopy(Abstract)
Talks & interviews[edit | edit source]
- 2011, Chronic Pain in Women
- 2014, ME/CFS Alerts Episode 68: Jarred Younger Interviewed by Deborah Waroff
- 2015, Dr Jarred Younger - LDN Scientist - Low Dose Naltrexone
- 2015, Pandora Research Report: Jarred Younger - Leptin in the Role of Neuroinflammation, Pain and Fatigue (see Leptin)
- 2015, Jarred Younger, Ph.D. - Microglial Modulation in the Treatment of Fibromyalgia
- 2015, Spoonie Radio Ep 15: Jarred Younger (see also Courtney Craig)
- 2016, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & Myalgic Encephalomyelitis: Can We Find Answers in the Brain? - Solve CFS Webinar
- 2016, Younger Lab YouTube Channel: Series of ongoing talks on the work of the lab
- 2016, Dr. Jarred Younger: Cutting Edge Research on CFS, Neuroinflammation, Pain, and Fatigue
- 2018, ME/CFS Involves Brain Inflammation: Results from a Ramsay Pilot Study
Choline results: (L) ME/CFS patient (R) Healthy control patient. Image discussed @16:21
Lactate results: (L) ME/CFS patient (R) Healthy control patient. Image discussed @20:02
Thermometry results: (L) ME/CFS patient (R) Healthy control patient. Image discussed @26:00
Learn more[edit | edit source]
- 2015, The Neuroinflammation Man: Jarred Younger on Inflammation, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Cort Johnson)
- 2015, New Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia Lab Opens: Jarred Younger Talks (Cort Johnson)
- 2016, Prisoners of Pain - UAB magazine (Spring 2016)
- 2016, Self Hacked on Dr Younger
- 2016, Younger Lab YouTube Channel
- 2016, Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Research Center Makes Good (Cort Johnson)
- 2018, Brain on Fire: Widespread Neuroinflammation Found in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)(Cort Johnson)
Younger’s new approach looked at the entire brain and found signs of inflammation almost everywhere. When asked what could cause that, Younger said that any neurodegenerative/ neuroinflammatory disorder like MS or a severe brain injury that tweaks the microglia (immune cells in the brain) enough to produce a sustained period of inflammation, burns up the oxygen in the system. Once that happens, the cells resort to anaerobic metabolism and lactate builds up just as it does in the muscles during exercise.
See also[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
- Publications on the PubMed register - Jarred Younger
- UAB Departmental Website
- Biography at UAB
- Facebook page for Younger Lab at UAB
- YouTube - Younger Lab
References[edit | edit source]
- Stringer, EA; Baker, KS; Carrol, IR; Montoya, JG; Chu, L; Maeker, HT; Younger, JW (Apr 9, 2013), "Daily cytokine fluctuations, driven by leptin, are associated with fatigue severity in chronic fatigue syndrome: Evidence of inflammatory pathology", J Transl Med., doi:10.1186/1479-5876-11-93, PMID 23570606
- Pandora Research Report: Jarred Younger - Leptin in the Role of Neuroinflammation, Pain and Fatigue
- Younger J, Noor N, McCue R, Mackey S. Low-dose naltrexone for the treatment of fibromyalgia: findings of a small, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, counterbalanced, crossover trial assessing daily pain levels. Arthritis Rheum. 2013 Feb;65(2):529-38.
- Younger, J., & Mackey, S. (2009). Fibromyalgia Symptoms Are Reduced by Low-Dose Naltrexone: A Pilot Study. Pain Medicine (Malden, Mass.), 10(4), 663–672. http://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4637.2009.00613.x
- Montoya, Jose G.; Holmes, Tyson H.; Anderson, Jill N.; Maecker, Holden T.; Rosenberg-Hasson, Yael; Valencia, Ian J.; Chu, Lily; Younger, Jarred W.; Tato, Cristina M.; Davis, Mark M. (2017), "Cytokine signature associated with disease severity in chronic fatigue syndrome patients", Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 114 (34): E7150-E7158, doi:10.1073/pnas.1710519114
- Mueller, Christina; Lin, Joanne C.; Sheriff, Sulaiman; Maudsley, Andrew A.; Younger, Jarred W. (Jan 7, 2019). "Evidence of widespread metabolite abnormalities in Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome: assessment with whole-brain magnetic resonance spectroscopy". Brain Imaging and Behavior. doi:10.1007/s11682-018-0029-4. ISSN 1931-7557.
- "ME/CFS Involves Brain Inflammation: Results from a Ramsay Pilot Study". YouTube. SolveCFS. Dec 14, 2018.
Myalgic encephalomyelitis or chronic fatigue syndrome