Leptin is a hormone involved in energy expenditure. Blood leptin levels vary exponentially with body fat mass (not linearly). Higher leptin levels are correlated with higher levels of inflammation.
Purpose[edit | edit source]
Leptin is primarily produced in the adipocytes of white adipose (fat) tissue. It helps to regulate energy balance by inhibiting feelings of hunger.
In M.E.[edit | edit source]
Two studies found correlation between leptin levels and symptom severity. Another study found raised leptin levels in patients. Several other studies have been published on leptin in ME and CFS.
Learn more[edit | edit source]
- 2017, Researchers identify biomarkers associated with chronic fatigue syndrome severity
- Wikipedia - Leptin
- 2016, The Fatigue and Pain Hormone? Leptin Shows Up Again – in Fibromyalgia
- 2016, All About Leptin: Its Role in Chronic Inflammation, CFS and Weight
- 2015, Getting “Younger”: Leptin, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia
- 2015, Pandora Research Report: Jarred Younger - Leptin in the Role of Neuroinflammation, Pain and Fatigue (Jarred Younger)
- 2015, Leveraging Leptin - Dr Courtney Craig
- 2014, Phoenix Rising - Leptin
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Stringer, EA; Baker, KS; Carroll, IR; Montoya, JG; Chu, L; Maecker, HT; Younger, JW (2013), "Daily cytokine fluctuations, driven by leptin, are associated with fatigue severity in chronic fatigue syndrome: evidence of inflammatory pathology", Journal of Translational Medicine, doi:10.1186/1479-5876-11-93, PMID 23570606
- Montoya, JG; Holmes, TH; Anderson, JN; Maecker, HT; Rosenberg-Hasson, Y; Valencia, IJ; Chu, L; Younger, JW; Tato, CM; Davis, MM (2017), "Cytokine signature associated with disease severity in chronic fatigue syndrome patients", Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, doi:10.1073/pnas.1710519114, PMID 28760971
- Hornig, M; Montoya, JG; Klimas, NG; Levine, SM; Felsenstein, D; Bateman, L; Peterson, DL; Gottschalk, CG; Schultz, AF; Che, X; Eddy, ML; Komaroff, AL; Lipkin, WI (2015), "Distinct plasma immune signatures in ME/CFS are present early in the course of illness", Science Advances, 1 (1), doi:10.1126/sciadv.1400121
- Cleare, Anthony J; O'Keane, V; Miell, J (2001), "Plasma leptin in chronic fatigue syndrome and a placebo-controlled study of the effects of low-dose hydrocortisone on leptin secretion", Clinical Endocrinology, 55 (1): 113-119, PMID 11453960
- Cleare, Anthony J (2003), "The neuroendocrinology of chronic fatigue syndrome", Endocrine Reviews, 24 (2): 236-252, doi:10.1210/er.2002-0014, PMID 12700181
- Covelli, V; Passeri, ME; Leogrande, D; Jirillo, E; Amati, L (2005), "Drug targets in stress-related disorders", Current Medicinal Chemistry, 12 (15): 1801 - 1809, PMID 16029148
- South Australian Health And Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI) Calling For Research Participants
Myalgic encephalomyelitis or chronic fatigue syndrome