Fatigue is a feeling of subjective feeling of tiredness, often called by other names including exhaustion. Persistent physical fatigue is a core symptom of chronic fatigue syndrome and a common symptom in many other chronic health conditions.
Types of fatigue[edit | edit source]
A number of different types of fatigue have been described in people with ME/CFS:
- Post-exertional fatigue
- Wired fatigue (wired but tired)
- Brain fog
- Lack of energy for daily living activities
- Flu-like fatigue
Prevalence[edit | edit source]
Symptom recognition[edit | edit source]
Persistent fatigue which is not relieved by rest, not life-long, persist over the long term, and does not result from another health condition is a compulsory symptom of chronic fatigue syndrome in the Fukuda criteria.
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2009, Examining Types of Fatigue Among Individuals with ME/CFS (Full Text)
- 2010, Classification of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome by Types of Fatigue (Full Text)
- 2014, Chronic fatigue syndrome: A review (Full Text)
- 2016, The aetiopathogenesis of fatigue: unpredictable, complex and persistent (Full Text)
- 2018, Association of sleep disorders, chronic pain, and fatigue with survival in patients with chronic kidney disease: A meta-analysis of clinical trials (Full Text)
Potential treatments[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
- Chronic fatigue
- Idiopathic chronic fatigue
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Myalgic encephalomyelitis
- Post-exertional malaise
- Common symptoms in ME/CFS
Learn more[edit | edit source]
- 2010, Classification of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome by Types of Fatigue(Full Text)
References[edit | edit source]
- Singh, Shubh Mohan; Sarkar, Siddharth; Rao, Pradyumna; Balachander, Srinivas (Jul 1, 2014). "Chronic fatigue syndrome: A review". Medical Journal of Dr. D.Y. Patil University. 7 (4): 415. doi:10.4103/0975-2870.135252. ISSN 0975-2870.
- Jason, Leonard A.; Boulton, Aaron; Porter, Nicole S.; Jessen, Tricia; Njoku, Mary Gloria (2010). "Classification of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome by Types of Fatigue". Behavioral medicine (Washington, D.C.). 36 (1): 24–31. doi:10.1080/08964280903521370. ISSN 0896-4289. PMC . PMID 20185398.
- Carruthers, B. M.; van de Sande, M. I.; De Meirleir, K. L.; Klimas, N. G.; Broderick, G.; Mitchell, T.; Staines, D.; Powles, A. C. P.; Speight, N. (Oct 1, 2011). "Myalgic encephalomyelitis: International Consensus Criteria". Journal of Internal Medicine. 270 (4). doi:10.1111/j.1365-2796.2011.02428.x/full. ISSN 1365-2796.
- Jason, Leonard; Jessen, Tricia; Porter, Nicole; Boulton, Aaron; Njoku, Mary Gloria (Jul 16, 2009). "Examining Types of Fatigue Among Individuals with ME/CFS". Disability Studies Quarterly. 29 (3). ISSN 2159-8371.
- Fukuda, K.; Straus, S. E.; Hickie, I.; Sharpe, M. C.; Dobbins, J. G.; Komaroff, A. (Dec 15, 1994). "The chronic fatigue syndrome: a comprehensive approach to its definition and study. International Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Study Group" (PDF). Annals of Internal Medicine. American College of Physicians. 121 (12): 953–959. ISSN 0003-4819. PMID 7978722.
- Clark, James E.; Fai Ng, W.; Watson, Stuart; Newton, Julia L. (Mar 2016). "The aetiopathogenesis of fatigue: unpredictable, complex and persistent". British Medical Bulletin. 117 (1): 139–148. doi:10.1093/bmb/ldv057. ISSN 0007-1420. PMC . PMID 26872857.
- Yang, Xiu Hong; Zhang, Bao Long; Gu, Yan Hong; Zhan, Xiao Li; Guo, Li Li; Jin, Hui Min (Nov 1, 2018). "Association of sleep disorders, chronic pain, and fatigue with survival in patients with chronic kidney disease: a meta-analysis of clinical trials". Sleep Medicine. 51: 59–65. doi:10.1016/j.sleep.2018.06.020. ISSN 1389-9457.
- Sigurdsson MD, Alex F. (Nov 8, 2017). "19 Important Causes of Fatigue - Tiredness and Chronic Fatigue Explained". www.docsopinion.com. Retrieved Jan 30, 2019.
chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) - A fatigue-based illness. The term CFS was invented invented by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control as an replacement for myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). Some view CFS as a neurological disease, others use the term for any unexplained long-term fatigue. Sometimes used as a the term as a synonym of myalgic encephalomyelitis, despite the different diagnostic criteria.