Fatigue is a feeling of subjective feeling of tiredness, often called by other names including exhaustion. Persistent physical fatigue is a core symptom of chronic fatigue syndrome and a common symptom in many other chronic health conditions.
Types of fatigue[edit | edit source]
A number of different types of fatigue have been described in people with ME/CFS:
- Post-exertional fatigue
- Wired fatigue (wired but tired)
- Brain fog
- Lack of energy for daily living activities
- Flu-like fatigue
Prevalence[edit | edit source]
Symptom recognition[edit | edit source]
Persistent fatigue which is not relieved by rest, not life-long, persists over the long term, and does not result from another health condition is a compulsory symptom of chronic fatigue syndrome in the Fukuda criteria.
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2009, Examining Types of Fatigue Among Individuals with ME/CFS (Full Text)
- 2010, Classification of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome by Types of Fatigue (Full Text)
- 2014, Chronic fatigue syndrome: A review (Full Text)
- 2016, The aetiopathogenesis of fatigue: unpredictable, complex and persistent (Full Text)
- 2018, Association of sleep disorders, chronic pain, and fatigue with survival in patients with chronic kidney disease: A meta-analysis of clinical trials (Full Text)
Potential treatments[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
- Chronic fatigue
- Idiopathic chronic fatigue
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Myalgic encephalomyelitis
- Post-exertional malaise
- Common symptoms in ME/CFS
Learn more[edit | edit source]
- 2010, Classification of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome by Types of Fatigue(Full Text)
References[edit | edit source]
- Singh, Shubh Mohan; Sarkar, Siddharth; Rao, Pradyumna; Balachander, Srinivas (July 1, 2014). "Chronic fatigue syndrome: A review". Medical Journal of Dr.D.Y. Patil University. 7 (4): 415. doi:10.4103/0975-2870.135252. ISSN 0975-2870.
- Jason, Leonard A.; Boulton, Aaron; Porter, Nicole S.; Jessen, Tricia; Njoku, Mary Gloria (2010). "Classification of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome by Types of Fatigue". Behavioral medicine (Washington,D.C.). 36 (1): 24–31. doi:10.1080/08964280903521370. ISSN 0896-4289. PMC 4852700. PMID 20185398.
- Carruthers, B.M.; van de Sande, M.I.; De Meirleir, K.L.; Klimas, N.G.; Broderick, G.; Mitchell, T.; Staines, D.; Powles, A.C.P.; Speight, N. (October 1, 2011). "Myalgic encephalomyelitis: International Consensus Criteria". Journal of Internal Medicine. 270 (4). doi:10.1111/j.1365-2796.2011.02428.x/full. ISSN 1365-2796.
- Jason, Leonard; Jessen, Tricia; Porter, Nicole; Boulton, Aaron; Njoku, Mary Gloria (July 16, 2009). "Examining Types of Fatigue Among Individuals with ME/CFS". Disability Studies Quarterly. 29 (3). ISSN 2159-8371.
- Fukuda, K.; Straus, S.E.; Hickie, I.; Sharpe, M. C.; Dobbins, J. G.; Komaroff, A. (December 15, 1994). "The chronic fatigue syndrome: a comprehensive approach to its definition and study. International Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Study Group" (PDF). Annals of Internal Medicine. American College of Physicians. 121 (12): 953–959. ISSN 0003-4819. PMID 7978722.
- Soriano, Joan B.; Allan, Maya; Alsokhn, Carine; Alwan, Nisreen A.; Askie, Lisa; Davis, Hannah E.; Diaz, Janet V.; Dua, Tarun; de Groote, Wouter; Jakob, Robert; Lado, Marta; Marshall, John; Murthy, Srin; Preller, Jacobus; Relan, Pryanka; Schiess, Nicoline; Seahwag, Archana (October 6, 2021), A clinical case definition of post COVID-19 condition by a Delphi consensus, World Health Organization (WHO) clinical case definition working group on post COVID-19 condition, World Health Organization
- Clark, James E.; Fai Ng, W.; Watson, Stuart; Newton, Julia L. (March 2016). "The aetiopathogenesis of fatigue: unpredictable, complex and persistent". British Medical Bulletin. 117 (1): 139–148. doi:10.1093/bmb/ldv057. ISSN 0007-1420. PMC 4782751. PMID 26872857.
- Yang, Xiu Hong; Zhang, Bao Long; Gu, Yan Hong; Zhan, Xiao Li; Guo, Li Li; Jin, Hui Min (November 1, 2018). "Association of sleep disorders, chronic pain, and fatigue with survival in patients with chronic kidney disease: a meta-analysis of clinical trials". Sleep Medicine. 51: 59–65. doi:10.1016/j.sleep.2018.06.020. ISSN 1389-9457.
- Sigurdsson MD, Alex F. (November 8, 2017). "19 Important Causes of Fatigue - Tiredness and Chronic Fatigue Explained". docsopinion.com. Retrieved January 30, 2019.
World Health Organization (WHO) - "A specialized agency of the United Nations that is concerned with public health. It was established on 7 April 1948, and is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland. The WHO is a member of the United Nations Development Group. Its predecessor, the Health Organization, was an agency of the League of Nations." The International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD) is maintained by WHO.