Theory[edit | edit source]
McGregor (2019) found that in people with ME/CFS, the 7-day severity of post-exertional malaise (PEM) and the 12-month frequency of PEM scores correlated with blood glucose levels, and negatively correlated with hypoxanthine, phenylalanine, lactate and threonine.
Evidence[edit | edit source]
Risks and safety[edit | edit source]
Phenylalanine is generally recognized as safe, except for people with phenylketonuria (PKU), a genetic disorder that prevents the metabolism of phenylalanine. Phenylalanine is found in many different foods.
Costs and availability[edit | edit source]
Inexpensive and available over the counter as a nutritional supplement.
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2016, Metabolic profiling indicates impaired pyruvate dehydrogenase function in myalgic encephalopathy/chronic fatigue syndrome (Full Text)
- 1977, DL-phenylalanine in depressed patients: An open study (Abstract)
- 2019, Post-exertional malaise is associated with hypermetabolism, hypoacetylation and purine metabolism deregulation in ME/CFS cases - (Full text)
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Definition of PHENYLALANINE". Merrian-Webster Dictionary. Retrieved March 7, 2021.
- "Phenylalanine". go.drugbank.com. Retrieved March 7, 2021.
- PubChem. "DL-Phenylalanine". pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. Retrieved March 7, 2021.
- McGregor, Neil R.; Armstrong, Christopher W.; Lewis, Donald P.; Gooley, Paul R. (September 2019). "Post-Exertional Malaise Is Associated with Hypermetabolism, Hypoacetylation and Purine Metabolism Deregulation in ME/CFS Cases". Diagnostics. 9 (3): 70. doi:10.3390/diagnostics9030070.
- Fluge, Øystein; Mella, Olav; Bruland, Ove; Risa, Kristin; Dyrstad, Sissel E.; Alme, Kine; Rekeland, Ingrid G.; Sapkota, Dipak; Røsland, Gro V.; Fosså, Alexander; Ktoridou-Valen, Irini; Lunde, Sigrid; Sørland, Kari; Lien, Katarina; Herder, Ingrid; Thürmer, Hanne; Gotaas, Merete E.; Baranowska, Katarzyna A.; Bohnen, Louis M.L.J.; Schäfer, Christoph; McCann, Adrian; Sommerfelt, Kristian; Helgeland, Lars; Ueland, Per M.; Dahl, Olav; Tronstad, Karl J. (2016). "Metabolic profiling indicates impaired pyruvate dehydrogenase function in myalgic encephalopathy/chronic fatigue syndrome". JCI Insight. 1 (21): e89376. doi:10.1172/jci.insight.89376.
- Beckmann, H.; Strauss, M.A.; Ludolph, E. (June 1, 1977). "Dl-phenylalanine in depressed patients: An open study". Journal of Neural Transmission. 41 (2): 123–134. doi:10.1007/BF01670277. ISSN 1435-1463.