Andrejs Ivanovs is head of the Statistics Unit at Riga Stradins University (RSU) in Riga, Latvia, and Leading Researcher and SHARE Country team leader at the Institute of Public Health at RSU. He is a participant in the epidemiology working group of EUROMENE.
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2014, Assessment of Value of Fatigue Severity and Symptoms in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Fibromyalgia(Full text)
- 2018, Prevalence and incidence of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome in Europe—the Euro-epiME study from the European network EUROMENE: a protocol for a systematic review(Full text)
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Andrejs Ivanovs". www.rsu.lv. Retrieved Jan 20, 2019.
- "Epidemiology". www.euromene.eu. Retrieved Jan 20, 2019.
- Krumina, Angelika; Vasiljeva, Ginta; Ivanovs, Andrejs; Gintere, Sandra; Kovalchuka, Lilija; Rasa, Santa; Chapenko, Svetlana; Murovska, Modra; Viksna, Ludmila; Logina, Inara (2014), "Assessment of Value of Fatigue Severity and Symptoms in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Fibromyalgia", British Journal of Medicine and Medical Research, 4: 5866-5877, doi:10.9734/BJMMR/2014/12225
- Estévez-López, Fernando; Castro-Marrero, Jesus; Wang, Xia; Bakken, Inger Johanne; Ivanovs, Andrejs; Nacul, Luis; Sepúlveda, Nuno; Strand, Elin B.; Pheby, Derek; Alegre, José; Scheibenbogen, Carmen; Shikova, Evelina; Lorusso, Lorenzo; Capelli, Enrica; Sekulic, Slobodan; Lacerda, Eliana; Murovska, Modra (Sep 1, 2018). "Prevalence and incidence of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome in Europe—the Euro-epiME study from the European network EUROMENE: a protocol for a systematic review". BMJ Open. 8 (9): e020817. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2017-020817. ISSN 2044-6055. PMID 30181183.
chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) - A fatigue-based illness. The term CFS was invented invented by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control as an replacement for myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). Some view CFS as a neurological disease, others use the term for any unexplained long-term fatigue. Sometimes used as a the term as a synonym of myalgic encephalomyelitis, despite the different diagnostic criteria.
myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) - A disease often marked by neurological symptoms, but fatigue is sometimes a symptom as well. Some diagnostic criteria distinguish it from chronic fatigue syndrome, while other diagnostic criteria consider it to be a synonym for chronic fatigue syndrome. A defining characteristic of ME is post-exertional malaise (PEM), or post-exertional neuroimmune exhaustion (PENE), which is a notable exacerbation of symptoms brought on by small exertions. PEM can last for days or weeks. Symptoms can include cognitive impairments, muscle pain (myalgia), trouble remaining upright (orthostatic intolerance), sleep abnormalities, and gastro-intestinal impairments, among others. An estimated 25% of those suffering from ME are housebound or bedbound. The World Health Organization (WHO) classifies ME as a neurological disease.