MEadvocacy is a project of May12.org, a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation whose mission is to raise global awareness and education for complex immunological and neurological diseases, including Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).Mary Ann Kindel and Joni Comstock, both American patient advocates, launched the project in 2014.
Their mission as an all volunteer organization is to advocate for Recognition, Definition and Research for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
MEadvocacy's current goals are to promote and support activities such as:
- Getting Myalgic Encephalomyelitis officially recognized as its own distinct disease in the US. ME has a 60 year history and has been classified as a neurological disease in the World Health Organization's International Classification of Diseases since 1969.
- Getting a single clear ME expert definition for diagnosis and research, adopted as the official definition for ME. Examples are the Canadian Consensus Criteria (CCC), the International Consensus Criteria (ICC) or an even better definition with the CCC and/or ICC as starting points. ME experts must be used in decision-making as the current “CFS” literature provides a misleading picture of the disease.
- Getting government funding to study this devastating disease, in the amount of $250 million annually – an amount on par with similar diseases such as Multiple Sclerosis.
Online presence[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- http://www.meadvocacy.org/about ME Advocacy: About
- World Health Organization (1969). International Classification of Diseases (PDF). 2 (Eighth revision ed.). Geneva: WHO. p. 173.
(myalgic, benign) 323
- Carruthers, Bruce M.; van de Sande, Marjorie I.; De Meirleir, Kenny L.; Klimas, Nancy G.; Broderick, Gordon; Mitchell, Terry; Staines, Donald; Powles, A. C. Peter; Speight, Nigel; Vallings, Rosamund; Bateman, Lucinda; Baumgarten-Austrheim, Barbara; Bell, David; Carlo-Stella, Nicoletta; Chia, John; Darragh, Austin; Jo, Daehyun; Lewis, Donald; Light, Alan; Marshall-Gradisnik, Sonya; Mena, Ismael; Mikovits, Judy; Miwa, Kunihisa; Murovska, Modra; Pall, Martin; Stevens, Staci (Aug 22, 2011). "Myalgic encephalomyelitis: International Consensus Criteria". Journal of Internal Medicine. 270 (4): 327–338. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2796.2011.02428.x. ISSN 0954-6820. PMC . PMID 21777306.