Emerge Australia efforts include peer support groups, Health Promotion activities, awareness and fundraising activities, advocacy, seminars and a dedicated Member information service. They produce a quarterly Emerge Journal.
"We are determined to strengthen the national response to ME/CFS and welcome and encourage all State and Territory organisations, communities and individuals to join with us as we move forward with hope, vigour and a commitment to lead."
The current CEO of Emerge Australia is Dr Heidi Nicholl, who has a PhD and background in medical ethics.
Aims[edit | edit source]
Mission - To support, provide information and advocacy for people associated with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS).
Vision - Universal awareness and acknowledgement of ME/CFS as a medical condition.Values - To serve the best interests of people affected by ME/CFS with integrity, compassion and empathy.
Funding[edit | edit source]
In July 2018, Emerge Australia received $370,000 in Federal Department of Health funding to support its work.
History[edit | edit source]
The 'ME Society' was formed in 1980 in Victoria, and included patients from Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia. The New South Wales and ACT societies formed independently, at the same time. The society's quarterly information brochure, 'Emerge', began in 1980. In 2014, the society was renamed from 'ME/CFS Australia (Victoria)' to 'Emerge Australia'.
Chief Executive Officer 2017-2018 - John Jeffries
Chief Executive Officer 2016-2017 - Elizabeth Logan
Chief Executive Officer 2016 - Leisl Jackson (acting)
Chief Executive Officer 2015-2016 Amanda Kelly
Advocacy actions[edit | edit source]
- 2016: An open letter is sent to Queen Mary University of London, and the Information Commissioner's Office in the UK, asking for the release of the PACE trial data.
Talks and interviews[edit | edit source]
- 23 Feb 2016, The Wire Radio in Australia covers the dismal research spending into ME and interviews patient Sasha Nimmo, former Senator Scott Ludlam and Sally Missing, President of Emerge Australia]
- 27 May 2014, "ME Part 1 Byron Bay Lighthouse FM MAY 2014"
- 27 May 2014, "ME Part 2 Byron Bay Lighthouse FM MAY 2014"
- 20 May 2014, "ME/CFS 774 ABC Radio 2014 Richard Stubbs and Nicole Phillips"
- 24 Sept 2013 "ME Phillips Radio Interview 2013"
- Vimeo channel - Emerge seminars
Online presence[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Emerge Australia - About Us
- "Emerge Australia welcomes $370,000 in Federal funding". Mirage News. Jul 17, 2018. Retrieved Aug 3, 2018.
- Emerge Australia - History
- Emerge Australia (Mar 20, 2016), Open Letter to QMUL - Request for the release of PACE trial data
Myalgic encephalomyelitis or chronic fatigue syndrome