EUROMENE[edit | edit source]
Dr. Harrer is a member of the Biomarkers Working Group of ME/CFS across Europe on behalf of EUROMENE, a European Union COST Action CA15111 not-for-profit research organization committed to tackling the cause and treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2018, Chronic viral infections in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS)(Full text)
- 2020, Human Herpesvirus-6 Reactivation, Mitochondrial Fragmentation, and the Coordination of Antiviral and Metabolic Phenotypes in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome(Full text)
Talks and interviews[edit | edit source]
Online presence[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Primäre und sekundäre Defektimmunopathien
- Rasa, Santa; Nora-Krukle, Zaiga; Henning, Nina; Eliassen, Eva; Shikova, Evelina; Harrer, Thomas; Scheibenbogen, Carmen; Murovska, Modra; Prusty, Bhupesh K.; European Network on ME/CFS (EUROMENE) (October 1, 2018). "Chronic viral infections in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS)". Journal of Translational Medicine. 16 (1). doi:10.1186/s12967-018-1644-y. ISSN 1479-5876. PMID 30285773.
- Schreiner, Philipp; Harrer, Thomas; Scheibenbogen, Carmen; Lamer, Stephanie; Schlosser, Andreas; Naviaux, Robert K.; Prusty, Bhupesh K. (April 1, 2020). "Human Herpesvirus-6 Reactivation, Mitochondrial Fragmentation, and the Coordination of Antiviral and Metabolic Phenotypes in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome". ImmunoHorizons. 4 (4): 201–215. doi:10.4049/immunohorizons.2000006. ISSN 2573-7732. PMID 32327453.
mitochondria Important parts of the biological cell, with each mitochondrion encased within a mitochondrial membrane. Mitochondria are best known for their role in energy production, earning them the nickname "the powerhouse of the cell". Mitochondria also participate in the detection of threats and the response to these threats. One of the responses to threats orchestrated by mitochondria is apoptosis, a cell suicide program used by cells when the threat can not be eliminated.
myalgic encephalomyelitis (M.E.) - A disease often marked by neurological symptoms, but fatigue is sometimes a symptom as well. Some diagnostic criteria distinguish it from chronic fatigue syndrome, while other diagnostic criteria consider it to be a synonym for chronic fatigue syndrome. A defining characteristic of ME is post-exertional malaise (PEM), or post-exertional neuroimmune exhaustion (PENE), which is a notable exacerbation of symptoms brought on by small exertions. PEM can last for days or weeks. Symptoms can include cognitive impairments, muscle pain (myalgia), trouble remaining upright (orthostatic intolerance), sleep abnormalities, and gastro-intestinal impairments, among others. An estimated 25% of those suffering from ME are housebound or bedbound. The World Health Organization (WHO) classifies ME as a neurological disease.