Swollen lymph nodes
Swollen, painful, and/or tender lymph nodes are a common occurrence in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS), especially with the cervical (neck) and axillary (armpits) lymph nodes.
Presentation[edit | edit source]
Prevalence[edit | edit source]
- In a 2001 Belgian study, 57.7% of patients meeting the Fukuda criteria and 67.9% of patients meeting the Holmes criteria, in a cohort of 2073 CFS patients, reported swollen/tender lymph nodes.
- Katrina Berne, PhD, reports a prevalence of 50-80% for painful and/or swollen lymph nodes.
Symptom recognition[edit | edit source]
- In the Canadian Consensus Criteria, tender lymph nodes are an optional criteria for diagnosis, under the section Immune Manifestations.
- In the Fukuda criteria, the symptom of tender lymph nodes can be used to help form a diagnosis.
- In the Holmes criteria, painful lymph nodes in the anterior or posterior cervical or axillary distribution is an optional criteria for diagnosis, under the section Minor Symptom Criteria. It also appears as an optional criteria for diagnosis under the section Minor Physical Criteria as palpable or tender anterior or posterior cervical or axillary lymph nodes that have been documented by a physician on at least two occasions, at least one month apart.
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
Possible causes[edit | edit source]
Potential treatments[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ↑ http://www.ncf-net.org/patents/pdf/Holmes_Definition.pdf
- ↑ De Becker, Pascale; McGregor, Neil; De Meirleir, Kenny (December 2001). "A definition‐based analysis of symptoms in a large cohort of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome". Journal of Internal Medicine. 250 (3): 234–240. doi:10.1046/j.1365-2796.2001.00890.x.
- ↑ Berne, Katrina (December 1, 1995). Running on Empty: The Complete Guide to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFIDS) (2nd ed.). Hunter House. p. 58. ISBN 978-0897931915.
- ↑ A Clinical Case Definition and Guidelines for Medical Practitioners: An Overview of the Canadian Consensus Document Pg 8. 2005.
- ↑ The CDC (Fukuda 1994) Definition for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- ↑ The 1988 Holmes Definition for CFS
The information provided at this site is not intended to diagnose or treat any illness.
From MEpedia, a crowd-sourced encyclopedia of ME and CFS science and history.