2017 Ramsay Award[edit | edit source]
A team comprised of Dr. Jonas Bergquist and Dr. Jonas Blomberg of Uppsala University and Dr. Carl-Gerhard Gottfries and Dr. Olof Zachrisson of the Gottfries Clinic were awarded a 2017 Ramsay Award grant from the Solve ME/CFS Initiative for research into biomarkers for initiation (infection) and metabolic derangement in ME/CFS.
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2000, Nickel Allergy is Found in a Majority of Women with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Muscle Pain - and may be Triggered by Cigarette Smoke and Dietary Nickel Intake (Abstract)
- 2002, A rating scale for fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome (the FibroFatigue scale)(Abstract)
- 2004, Immune modulation with a staphylococcal preparation in fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome: relation between antibody levels and clinical improvement(Abstract)
- 2006, Long-Term Treatment with a Staphylococcus Toxoid Vaccine in Patients with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome(Abstract)
- 2012, No evidence for xenotropic murine leukemia-related virus infection in Sweden using internally controlled multiepitope suspension array serology(Full Text)
- 2013, Epitopes of Microbial and Human Heat Shock Protein 60 and Their Recognition in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis(Full Text)
- 2015, Response to Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Fibromyalgia
- 2019, Antibodies to Human Herpesviruses in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Patients - (Abstract)
Online presence[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Gottfries Clinic | Gottfriesmottagningen" (in svenska). Retrieved August 13, 2019.
- Regland, Bjorn; Zachrisson, Olof; Stejskal, Vera; Gottfries, Carl Gerhard (2000). "Immunotherapy of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Therapeutic Interventions Aimed at Modulating the Th1/Th2 Cytokine Expression Balance". Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. 8 (1): 57–65. doi:10.1300/J092v08n01_04.
- Zachrisson, O; Regland, B; Jahreskog, M; Kron, M; Gottfries, CG (June 2002). "A rating scale for fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome (the FibroFatigue scale)". J Psychosomatic Research. 52 (6): 501–9. PMID 12069875.
- Zachrisson, O; Colque-Navarro, P; Gottfries, CG; Regland, B; Möllby, R (February 2004). "Immune modulation with a staphylococcal preparation in fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome: relation between antibody levels and clinical improvement". European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Disease. 23 (2): 98–105. doi:10.1007/s10096-003-1062-8.
- Carl-Gerhard Gottfries, Ove Häger, Björn Regland & Olof Zachrisson. (2006). Long-Term Treatment with a Staphylococcus Toxoid Vaccine in Patients with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Vol. 13, Iss. 4, pp. 29-40. DOI:10.1300/J092v13n04_04
- Blomberg, Jonas; Blomberg, Fredrik; Sjösten, Anna; Sheikholvaezin, Ali; Bölin-Wiener, Agnes; Elfaitouri, Amal; Hessel, Sanna; Gottfries, Carl-Gerhard; Zachrisson, Olof; Öhrmalma, Christina; Jobs, Magnus; Pipkorn, Rüdiger (2012), "No Evidence for Xenotropic Murine Leukemia-Related Virus Infection in Sweden Using Internally Controlled Multiepitope Suspension Array Serology", Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, 19 (9): 1399-1410, doi:10.1128/CVI.00391-12
- Elfaitouri, A; Herrmann, B; Bölin-Wiener, A; Wang, Y; Gottfries, C-G; Zachrisson, O; Pipkorn, R; Rönnblom, L; Blomberg, J (2013), "Epitopes of Microbial and Human Heat Shock Protein 60 and Their Recognition in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis", PLoS One, 8 (11), doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0081155
- Regland, Björn; Forsmark, Sara; Halaouate, Lena; Matousek, Michael; Peilot, Birgitta; Zachrisson, Olof; Gottfries, Carl-Gerhard (2015), "Response to Vitamin B12 and Folic Acid in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Fibromyalgia.", PLoS ONE, 10 (4), doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0124648
- Blomberg, Jonas; Rizwan, Muhammad; Böhlin-Wiener, Agnes; Elfaitouri, Amal; Julin, Per; Zachrisson, Olof; Rosén, Anders; Gottfries, Carl-Gerhard. "Antibodies to Human Herpesviruses in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Patients". Frontiers in Immunology. doi:10.3389/fimmu.2019.01946.
myalgic encephalomyelitis (M.E.) - A disease often marked by neurological symptoms, but fatigue is sometimes a symptom as well. Some diagnostic criteria distinguish it from chronic fatigue syndrome, while other diagnostic criteria consider it to be a synonym for chronic fatigue syndrome. A defining characteristic of ME is post-exertional malaise (PEM), or post-exertional neuroimmune exhaustion (PENE), which is a notable exacerbation of symptoms brought on by small exertions. PEM can last for days or weeks. Symptoms can include cognitive impairments, muscle pain (myalgia), trouble remaining upright (orthostatic intolerance), sleep abnormalities, and gastro-intestinal impairments, among others. An estimated 25% of those suffering from ME are housebound or bedbound. The World Health Organization (WHO) classifies ME as a neurological disease.
somatic symptom disorder A psychiatric term to describe an alleged condition whereby a person's thoughts somehow cause physical symptoms. The actual existence of such a condition is highly controversial, due to a lack of scientific evidence. It is related to other psychiatric terms, such as "psychosomatic", "neurasthenia", and "hysteria". Older terms include "somatization", "somatoform disorder", and "conversion disorder". Such terms refer to a scientifically-unsupported theory that claims that a wide range of physical symptoms can be created by the human mind, a theory which has been criticized as "mind over matter" parapsychology, a pseudoscience.