This article is a stub.
Please help improve this page if you can
Dr. Joan S. Crawford is a British counseling psychologist working in chronic pain management in the NHS, and Chair of Chester MESH, a self-help group for people with myalgic encephalomyelitis in Chester, UK.
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
Talks and interviews[edit | edit source]
Advocacy[edit | edit source]
Letters[edit | edit source]
- 2017, Re: Self help approach to graded exercise may help chronic fatigue syndrome
- 2018, Graded exercise self-help for chronic fatigue syndrome in GETSET
Open letter to The Lancet[edit | edit source]
- 19 June 2018, Joan Crawford signed an open letter to the editor of The Lancet urging the editor to commission a fully independent review of the PACE trial, which the journal published in 2011.
Online presence[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Joan Crawford | Doctoral level qualification in Counselling psychology, MSc, MA, BEng Hons Chemical engineering. | Chronic pain management service (CPMS) St Helens Hospital". ResearchGate. Retrieved Feb 6, 2019.
- Crawford, Joan S. (Mar 24, 2018). "Graded exercise self-help for chronic fatigue syndrome in GETSET". The Lancet. 391 (10126): 1160. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(18)30621-4. ISSN 0140-6736. PMID 29595492.
- Crawford, Joan S. (Aug 2012). "Internet-based CBT for adolescents with chronic fatigue syndrome" (PDF). The Lancet. 380 (9841): 561–562. Retrieved Feb 6, 2019.
- Crawford, Joan S. (Jun 26, 2017). "Re: Self help approach to graded exercise may help chronic fatigue syndrome". BMJ.
Patients report very low levels of physical activity and high levels of fatigue compared to those reported by well controls of the same age and gender, at the beginning of the trial. It cannot be discounted due to the obvious possibility for bias that the modest, small changes for the better were more than likely accounted for by the placebo effect – patients wishing to please their therapists. It would be odd if they were not so.
- Tuller, David (Jun 19, 2018). "Trial By Error: An Open Letter to The Lancet, Two Years On".