Encephalomyelitis or encephalo-myelitis.
Causes[edit | edit source]
Encephalomyelitis can occur as part of many different illnesses, and different causes are recognized including viruses, bacteria, parasites and other infections, and occasionally immunisations.
- Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM), also known as acute disseminated encephalitis, immune-mediated encephalomyelitis or postinfectious encephalomyelitis and occurs mostly in children
- Human T-cell lymphotropic virus (HTLV) associated myelopathy and Tropical spastic paraplegia
- Bacterial meningoencephalitis and meningomyelitis not elsewhere classified
- Postinfectious encephalitis and encephalomyelitis not otherwise specified
- Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis, unspecified
- Ventriculitis (cerebral) not otherwise specified
- Encephalomyelitis in bacterial diseases: listerial, meningococcal, syphilis and tuberculous
- Encephalomyelitis in viruses: adenoviral, cytomegaloviral, enteroviral, herpesviral [herpes simplex], influenza virus not identified, zoonotic or pandemic influenza virus (identified), measles, mumps, varicella encephalomyelitis / postchickenpox, rubella, zoster
- Encephalomyelitis in other infectious and parasitic diseases:
- Myalgic encephalomyelitis
Signs and symptoms[edit | edit source]
Treatment[edit | edit source]
ME/CFS[edit | edit source]
Notable articles[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
- Definition online
- Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis - National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Strokes
References[edit | edit source]
- World Health Organization (2019). "Inflammatory diseases of the central nervous system (G00-G09)". Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis. ICD-10.
- World Health Organization (2019). "Inflammatory diseases of the central nervous system (G00-G09)". Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis classified elsewhere. ICD-10.
- World Health Organization (2019). "Other disorders of the nervous system (G90-G99)". Other disorders of the brain. ICD-10.
cerebral 1. of or relating to the brain or the intellect 2. of, relating to, affecting, or being the cerebrum.
International Classification of Diseases (ICD) - A system of medical diagnostic codes, created by the World Health Organization (WHO), to classify diseases and other health related conditions for the purpose of international diagnostic consistency. By having common diagnostic codes around the world, health researchers are better able to quantify and track disease burdens. The most current version is called ICD-11. (Learn more: www.who.int)