From MEpedia, a crowd-sourced encyclopedia of ME and CFS science and history
Encephalomyelitis or encephalo-myelitis.
Causes[edit | edit source]
Encephalomyelitis can occur as part of many different illnesses, and different causes are recognized including viruses, bacteria, parasites and other infections, and occasionally immunisations.
- Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM), also known as acute disseminated encephalitis, immune-mediated encephalomyelitis or postinfectious encephalomyelitis and occurs mostly in children
- Human T-cell lymphotropic virus (HTLV) associated myelopathy and Tropical spastic paraplegia
- Bacterial meningoencephalitis and meningomyelitis not elsewhere classified
- Postinfectious encephalitis and encephalomyelitis not otherwise specified
- Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis, unspecified
- Ventriculitis (cerebral) not otherwise specified
- Encephalomyelitis in bacterial diseases: listerial, meningococcal, syphilis and tuberculous
- Encephalomyelitis in viruses: adenoviral, cytomegaloviral, enteroviral, herpesviral [herpes simplex], influenza virus not identified, zoonotic or pandemic influenza virus (identified), measles, mumps, varicella encephalomyelitis / postchickenpox, rubella, zoster
- Encephalomyelitis in other infectious and parasitic diseases:
- Myalgic encephalomyelitis
Signs and symptoms[edit | edit source]
Treatment[edit | edit source]
ME/CFS[edit | edit source]
Notable articles[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
- Definition online
- Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis - National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Strokes
References[edit | edit source]
- World Health Organization (2019). "Inflammatory diseases of the central nervous system (G00-G09)". Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis. ICD-10.
- World Health Organization (2019). "Inflammatory diseases of the central nervous system (G00-G09)". Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis classified elsewhere. ICD-10.
- World Health Organization (2019). "Other disorders of the nervous system (G90-G99)". Other disorders of the brain. ICD-10.