Evidence[edit | edit source]
Prebiotic[edit | edit source]
Some evidence suggests dark chocolate may provide benefits to the gut microbiome.
Risks and safety[edit | edit source]
Cocoa including chocolate is a known trigger for migraines, which many people with ME/CFS have.
Learn more[edit | edit source]
- Cocoa and Dark Chocolate Polyphenols: From Biology to Clinical Applications 2017
- "Cocoa polyphenols modulate intestinal microbiota, leading to growth of good bacteria & anti-inflammatory pathway in host"
- "Cocoa and dark chocolate polyphenols exert antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities switching on some important signaling pathways such as toll-like receptor 4/nuclear factor κB/signal transducer and activator of transcription. In particular, cocoa polyphenols induce release of nitric oxide (NO) through activation of endothelial NO synthase which, in turn, accounts for vasodilation and cardioprotective effects"
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Sathyapalan, Thozhukat; Beckett, Stephen; Rigby, Alan S.; Mellor, Duane D.; Atkin, Stephen L. (2010), "High cocoa polyphenol rich chocolate may reduce the burden of the symptoms in chronic fatigue syndrome", Nutrition Journal, 9: 55, doi:10.1186/1475-2891-9-55, ISSN 1475-2891, retrieved November 9, 2016
- Pérez-Cano, Francisco J.; Massot-Cladera, Malen; Franch, Àngels; Castellote, Cristina; Castell, Margarida (June 4, 2013), "The effects of cocoa on the immune system", Frontiers in Pharmacology, 4, doi:10.3389/fphar.2013.00071, ISSN 1663-9812, PMC 3671179, PMID 23759861, retrieved November 9, 2016
- Jang, Saebyeol; Sun, Jianghao; Chen, Pei; Lakshman, Sukla; Molokin, Aleksey; Harnly, James; Joseph Urban, Jr; Davis, Cindy; Solano-Aguilar, Gloria (April 1, 2015), "Changes in the Intestinal Microbiota and Host Inflammatory Gene Expression in Pigs Fed a Flavanol-Enriched Cocoa Powder", The FASEB Journal, 29 (1 Supplement): 914–4, ISSN 0892-6638, retrieved November 9, 2016
- Ramiro-Puig, Emma; Pérez-Cano, Francisco J.; Ramos-Romero, Sara; Pérez-Berezo, Teresa; Castellote, Cristina; Permanyer, Joan; Franch, Àngels; Izquierdo-Pulido, Maria; Castell, Margarida (August 2008), "Intestinal immune system of young rats influenced by cocoa-enriched diet", The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, 19 (8): 555–565, doi:10.1016/j.jnutbio.2007.07.002, ISSN 0955-2863, retrieved November 9, 2016
- "The ME/CFS Chocolate Study". Google Docs. Retrieved March 9, 2021.
<ref> tag with name "antioxidant2009" defined in
<references> is not used in prior text.