Professor Chris Ponting (Christopher Paul Ponting) is a British researcher with a special interest in genomics and bioinformatics. Prof. Ponting is Section Head at Biomedical Genomics, Chair of Medical Bioinformatics, and a Principal Investigator at the MRC Human Genetics Unit, Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine at the University of Edinburgh.
Chris has been on the editorial boards of many different research journals and founded CGAT, a training center funded by the UK's Medical Research Council.
Professional organizations[edit | edit source]
- Fellow of the Academy of Medical Science
- Member of the European Molecular Biology Organisation
ME/CFS research[edit | edit source]
Professor Ponting is principle investigator on a large study that will use the UK Biobank data to "investigate the biomolecular and genetic bases to myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME/CFS)".
DecodeME[edit | edit source]
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2020, Genetic risk factors of ME/CFS: a critical review - [https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7530519 (Full text)
Clinic location[edit | edit source]
Talks and interviews[edit | edit source]
- 2018, Q&A with Prof Chris Ponting - Action for ME
- 2020, Q&A with Chris Ponting - Science for ME forum
News articles and blogs[edit | edit source]
- May 2020, Coronavirus in Scotland: Charity warns Covid will cause a spike in ME cases
- Jan 2020, Trial By Error: The UK’s Proposed Genetics Study
- Apr 2019, Blood test for chronic fatigue syndrome could speed diagnosis, study says
- Mar 2018, CFS/ME Research Collaborative announces Major Change in Policy and New Deputy Chair
- Jul 2017, At least 75 per cent of our DNA really is useless junk after all
- May 2016, How do our genes actually work? - podcast
Online presence[edit | edit source]
- Edinburgh University profile
- Computational and Disease Genomics Research Group
- Researchgate profile
- ORCID profile
- Google scholar profile
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Professor Christopher Paul Ponting FMedSci FRSE". The Royal Society of Edinburgh. March 24, 2020. Retrieved June 3, 2020.
- "Professor Chris Ponting". The University of Edinburgh. Retrieved June 3, 2020.
- "The CFS/ME Research Collaborative (CMRC) Announces Major Change in Policy and New Deputy Chair | 07 March 2018". ME Association. March 7, 2018. Retrieved June 3, 2020.
- "Science for ME written Q&A with Prof Chris Ponting". Science for ME. Retrieved June 3, 2020.
- "Using UK Biobank data to investigate the biomolecular and genetic bases to myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME/CFS) | UK Biobank". UK Biobank. Retrieved June 3, 2020.
- Dibble, Joshua J; McGrath, Simon J; Ponting, Chris P (August 3, 2020). "Genetic risk factors of ME/CFS: a critical review". Human Molecular Genetics. 29 (R1): R117–R124. doi:10.1093/hmg/ddaa169. ISSN 0964-6906. PMC 7530519. PMID 32744306.