The ME Association is a British patient charity formed in 1976. Its patrons have included His Royal Highness the Duke of Kent, Countess of Mar, Professor Peter Behan and the Right Honourable John Bercow PC MP (Speaker of The House of Commons). As of 2020, its medical advisor is Doctor Charles Shepherd, who is also living with ME. The ME Association conducts community surveys, compiles factsheets, and publishes news about ME/CFS.
Aims[edit | edit source]
Funding[edit | edit source]
Ramsay Research Fund[edit | edit source]
Purple Booklet[edit | edit source]
The ME Association publishes its purple booklet (or purple book) which is a guide to clinical management of the disease for patients and doctors.
Notable publications[edit | edit source]
- Apr 30, 2020, Covid-19 and Post-viral Fatigue Syndrome - Charles Shepherd, ME Association
- May 2020, Post Covid-19 Rehabilitation - Physios for ME, Workwell Foundation, and ME Association
- May 2020, MEA Information on Post-viral fatigue (PVF) and Post-viral fatigue syndrome (PVFS) following coronovirus infection - ME Association
Notable people[edit | edit source]
- Charles Shepherd (Medical Advisor)
- Nigel Speight (Pediatric Medical Advisor)
- Tony Britton
- Countess of Mar
- Peter Behan
History[edit | edit source]
Online presence[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Patrons, Trustees, Advisers". ME Association. Retrieved February 18, 2020.
- "The ME Association Ramsay Research Fund (RRF) Factsheet" (PDF). ME Association. November 2018. Retrieved February 18, 2020.
- "MEA Clinical and Research Guide". ME Association. August 2020. Retrieved February 4, 2021.
- Charles Shepherd (April 30, 2020). "Covid-19 and Post-viral Fatigue Syndrome by Dr Charles Shepherd | 30 April 2020". meassociation.org. Retrieved May 1, 2020.
- Physio for ME; Workwell Foundation; ME Association (May 2020). "Post Covid-19 Rehabilitation". Physiosforme. Retrieved May 2, 2020.
- ME Association (May 2020). "MEA INFORMATION ON Post-viral fatigue (PVF) and Post-viral fatigue syndrome (PVFS) following coronovirus infection" (PDF). meassociation.org. Retrieved May 1, 2020.
myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) - A disease often marked by neurological symptoms, but fatigue is sometimes a symptom as well. Some diagnostic criteria distinguish it from chronic fatigue syndrome, while other diagnostic criteria consider it to be a synonym for chronic fatigue syndrome. A defining characteristic of ME is post-exertional malaise (PEM), or post-exertional neuroimmune exhaustion (PENE), which is a notable exacerbation of symptoms brought on by small exertions. PEM can last for days or weeks. Symptoms can include cognitive impairments, muscle pain (myalgia), trouble remaining upright (orthostatic intolerance), sleep abnormalities, and gastro-intestinal impairments, among others. An estimated 25% of those suffering from ME are housebound or bedbound. The World Health Organization (WHO) classifies ME as a neurological disease.