Dr. Lara Gitto, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy.
EUROMENE[edit | edit source]
Gitto serves as a participant of the Socio-economics Working Group of ME/CFS across Europe on behalf of EUROMENE, a European Union COST Action CA15111 not-for-profit research organization committed to tackling the cause and treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2017, The economic burden of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME): an initial summary of the existing evidence and recommendations for further research(Full text)
- 2019, Sindrome da affaticamento cronico: una prima analisi empirica per l’Italia
- 2020, The Development of a Consistent Europe-Wide Approach to Investigating the Economic Impact of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME/CFS): A Report from the European Network on ME/CFS (EUROMENE) - (Full text)
Talks and interviews[edit | edit source]
- Oct 2017, Italian Health Economics Association National Conference. Presentation title: "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome(CFS/ME): a case study within the European project COST ACTION EUROMENE"(Presentation slides available on ResearchGate)
Online presence[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Brenna, Elenka; Gitto, Lara (June 24, 2016). "The economic burden of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME): an initial summary of the existing evidence and recommendations for further research". European Journal for Person Centered Healthcare. 4 (1). doi:10.5750/ejpch.v4i1. ISSN 2052-5656.
- Brenna, Elenka; Gitto, Lara (January–March 2018). "Sindrome da affaticamento cronico: una prima analisi empirica per l'Italia". Politiche Sanitarie. doi:10.1706/2894.29180.
- Pheby, Derek F.H.; Araja, Diana; Berkis, Uldis; Brenna, Elenka; Cullinan, John; de Korwin, Jean-Dominique; Gitto, Lara; Hughes, Dyfrig A; Hunter, Rachael M; Trepel, Dominic; Wang-Steverding, Xia (April 7, 2020). "The Development of a Consistent Europe-Wide Approach to Investigating the Economic Impact of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME/CFS): A Report from the European Network on ME/CFS (EUROMENE)". Healthcare. 8 (2): 88. doi:10.3390/healthcare8020088. ISSN 2227-9032.
- Brenna, Elenka; Gitto, Lara. "(PDF) AIES 2017 - CFS presentation-Brenna-Gitto". ResearchGate. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) - A disease often marked by neurological symptoms, but fatigue is sometimes a symptom as well. Some diagnostic criteria distinguish it from chronic fatigue syndrome, while other diagnostic criteria consider it to be a synonym for chronic fatigue syndrome. A defining characteristic of ME is post-exertional malaise (PEM), or post-exertional neuroimmune exhaustion (PENE), which is a notable exacerbation of symptoms brought on by small exertions. PEM can last for days or weeks. Symptoms can include cognitive impairments, muscle pain (myalgia), trouble remaining upright (orthostatic intolerance), sleep abnormalities, and gastro-intestinal impairments, among others. An estimated 25% of those suffering from ME are housebound or bedbound. The World Health Organization (WHO) classifies ME as a neurological disease.
limbic cortex Part of the brain (within the cerebral cortex) involved in emotion, memory and behavior. Part of the limbic system.