Elenka Brenna, Ph.D., is a Health Economics professor at the Department of Economics and Finance Università Cattolica del S. Cuore, Milano, Italy, and a Microeconomics professor at the Department of Medical Biotechnology and Translational Medicine, Università di Milano, Milano, Italy. She is a senior researcher in Health Economics, Welfare Economics and Public Economics with her research interests including the economics of health and health care, health care policies, ageing and long term care, and evaluation of welfare systems.
Education[edit | edit source]
- 1993: Degree in Economics, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milan. Dissertation title: Reference prices in the Pharmaceutical sector. An empirical application for the European Union
- 1996: M.Sc. in Health Economics, University of York, UK, supported by a scholarship from the Ministry of the Interior. Dissertation title: “The use of ARIMA models in the economic evaluation of health technologies”
- 2000: Research Ph.D. in Economics, University of Trento, Department of Economics. Dissertation title: “The health care costs for acute pesticide intoxication - an empirical analysis”
Awards[edit | edit source]
- 26th October 2017, London: Silver medal by the European Association for Person Centred Healthcare (London) for the work done together with Lara Gitto in the European project Cost Action on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (EUROMENE)
EUROMENE[edit | edit source]
Brenna serves as a participant of the Socio-economics Working Group of ME/CFS across Europe on behalf of EUROMENE, a European Union COST Action CA15111 not-for-profit research organization committed to tackling the cause and treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2017, The economic burden of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME): an initial summary of the existing evidence and recommendations for further research(Full text on ResearchGate)
- 2019, Sindrome da affaticamento cronico: una prima analisi empirica per l’Italia
- 2020, The Development of a Consistent Europe-Wide Approach to Investigating the Economic Impact of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME/CFS): A Report from the European Network on ME/CFS (EUROMENE) - (Full text)
Talks and interviews[edit | edit source]
- Jan 2017, COST ACTION Euromene Meeting in Berlin, oral presentation: The economic burden of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME): a comprehensive summary of the existing evidence
- Oct 2017, Italian Health Economics Association National Conference. Presentation title: "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome(CFS/ME): a case study within the European project COST ACTION EUROMENE"(Presentation slides available on ResearchGate)
- Dec 2017, Associazione Italiana per Gli Studi Sulla Qualità Della Vita (AIQUAV) Conference in Florence: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME): a case study
- Apr 2018, European Network on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, COST Action - CA15111, oral presentation in Paris: Evaluated socio-economic impact and direct and indirect costs caused by ME/CFS in Europe.
- Sep 2018, European Network on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, COST Action - CA15111, oral presentation at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine: The quality of life of patients affected by Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: an Italian case study.
Online presence[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Elenka Brenna". sites.google.com. Retrieved February 19, 2019.
- "Brenna Elenka - University of Milan". unimi.it. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- "CV - Elenka Brenna" (PDF). Università degli studi di Milano. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- Brenna, Elenka; Gitto, Lara (June 24, 2016). "The economic burden of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME): an initial summary of the existing evidence and recommendations for further research". European Journal for Person Centered Healthcare. 4 (1). doi:10.5750/ejpch.v4i1. ISSN 2052-5656.
- Brenna, Elenka; Gitto, Lara (January–March 2018). "Sindrome da affaticamento cronico: una prima analisi empirica per l'Italia". Politiche Sanitarie. doi:10.1706/2894.29180.
- Pheby, Derek F.H.; Araja, Diana; Berkis, Uldis; Brenna, Elenka; Cullinan, John; de Korwin, Jean-Dominique; Gitto, Lara; Hughes, Dyfrig A; Hunter, Rachael M; Trepel, Dominic; Wang-Steverding, Xia (April 7, 2020). "The Development of a Consistent Europe-Wide Approach to Investigating the Economic Impact of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME/CFS): A Report from the European Network on ME/CFS (EUROMENE)". Healthcare. 8 (2): 88. doi:10.3390/healthcare8020088. ISSN 2227-9032.
- "Elenka Brenna - CV". sites.google.com. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- Brenna, Elenka; Gitto, Lara. "(PDF) AIES 2017 - CFS presentation-Brenna-Gitto". ResearchGate. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- "AIQUAV - 2017 Conferenza" (PDF). AIQUAV. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
myalgic encephalomyelitis (M.E.) - A disease often marked by neurological symptoms, but fatigue is sometimes a symptom as well. Some diagnostic criteria distinguish it from chronic fatigue syndrome, while other diagnostic criteria consider it to be a synonym for chronic fatigue syndrome. A defining characteristic of ME is post-exertional malaise (PEM), or post-exertional neuroimmune exhaustion (PENE), which is a notable exacerbation of symptoms brought on by small exertions. PEM can last for days or weeks. Symptoms can include cognitive impairments, muscle pain (myalgia), trouble remaining upright (orthostatic intolerance), sleep abnormalities, and gastro-intestinal impairments, among others. An estimated 25% of those suffering from ME are housebound or bedbound. The World Health Organization (WHO) classifies ME as a neurological disease.
limbic cortex Part of the brain (within the cerebral cortex) involved in emotion, memory and behavior. Part of the limbic system.