Jon D. Kaiser, MD, a Clinical Associate Instructor in the University of California at San Francisco School of Medicine, board member of International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, and Medical Director and CEO of K-PAX Pharmaceuticals in Mill Valley
Dr. Kaiser also lives with ME/CFS: "It took me five years to recover from it to the point where I was close to normally functional...If I work too hard, if some sort of stress occurs that I can't avoid, I can have a relapse that will last days to weeks," Kaiser said. "One of the things that got me interested in micronutrients and supplements early on was my use of them to help support my recovery."
Dr. Kaiser has retired from private practice after treating patients with HIV, cancer, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and other immune system disorders for the past twenty-five years, in order to focus on research. He is currently working on the Synergy Trial, a double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial of a new treatment that would help improve the fatigue and decreased concentration symptoms for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). The treatment is a compound which combines a low dosage prescription stimulant medication, methylphenidate hydrochloride, with over-the-counter mitochondrial support nutrients.
Education[edit | edit source]
- Undergraduate degree in philosophy from the State University of New York
- MD, from University of Texas Medical School in Houston, receiving honors in Internal Medicine and Emergency Medicine.
Articles[edit | edit source]
- 2014, Stimulating Energy: Enhancing the Mitochondria in the Synergy Clinical Trial for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, by Cort Johnson
- 2015, Jon Kaiser, MD: Supporting Mitochondrial Health With Nutrient Therapy
Talks and interviews[edit | edit source]
- 2014, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) - Improving Mitochondrial Energy Production
- 2015, Jon Kaiser, MD: Supporting Mitochondrial Health With Nutrient Therapy.(Full transcript of interview)
- 2015, Mitochondrial Medicine and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2015, A prospective, proof-of-concept investigation of KPAX002 in chronic fatigue syndrome.(Full Text)
- 2018, KPAX002 as a treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS): A prospective, randomized trial(Full Text)
Learn more[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- USCF directory page for Jon D. Kaiser
- IACFS/ME homepage
- Halstead, Richard (Mar 22, 2014), "Mill Valley company develops treatment for mysterious chronic fatigue syndrome.", Marin Independent Journal.
- Jon D. Kaiser homepage
- Biography, Jon D. Kaiser
- Kaiser, J; Gustafson, C (July 2015), "Supporting Mitochondrial Health With Nutrient Therapy.", Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, 21 (Suppl 2): 77-79, PMID 26308764
- Kaiser, JD (Jul 15, 2015), "A prospective, proof-of-concept investigation of KPAX002 in chronic fatigue syndrome", International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, 8 (7): 11064–11074, PMID 26379906
- Montoya, Jose G; Anderson, Jill N; Adolphs, Danya L; Bateman, Lucinda; Klimas, Nancy; Levine, Susan M; Garvert, Donn W; Kaiser, Jon D (2018), "KPAX002 as a treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS): A prospective, randomized trial" (PDF), International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, 11 (3): 2890-2900
Myalgic encephalomyelitis or chronic fatigue syndrome, often used when both illnesses are considered the same.