Arthralgia is the medical term for joint pain.
Presentation[edit | edit source]
Prevalence[edit | edit source]
- 1995, Katrina Berne, PhD, reported a prevalence of 65-95% for muscle and/or joint pain, neck pain.
- 2001, In a Belgian study, 73.3% of patients meeting the Fukuda criteria and 77.1% of patients meeting the Holmes criteria, in a cohort of 2073 CFS patients, reported sore throat.
Symptom recognition[edit | edit source]
- In the Canadian Consensus Criteria, pain is a required criteria for diagnosis. It requires that "there is a significant degree of myalgia. Pain can be experienced in the muscles, and/or joints, and is often widespread and migratory in nature. Often there are significant headaches of new type, pattern or severity."
- In the Fukuda criteria, the symptom of multi-joint pain without swelling or redness can be used to help form a diagnosis.
- In the Holmes criteria, migratory arthralgia without joint swelling or redness is an optional criteria for diagnosis, under the section Minor Symptom Criteria.
Research studies[edit | edit source]
- 2002, Chronic fatigue syndrome and arthralgia following parvovirus B19 infection - (Abstract)
Possible causes[edit | edit source]
Potential treatments[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Berne, Katrina (December 1, 1995). Running on Empty: The Complete Guide to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFIDS) (2nd ed.). Hunter House. p. 58. ISBN 978-0897931915.
- De Becker, Pascale; McGregor, Neil; De Meirleir, Kenny (December 2001). "A definition‐based analysis of symptoms in a large cohort of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome". Journal of Internal Medicine. 250 (3): 234–240. doi:10.1046/j.1365-2796.2001.00890.x.
- A Clinical Case Definition and Guidelines for Medical Practitioners: An Overview of the Canadian Consensus Document Pg 8. 2005.
- The CDC (Fukuda 1994) Definition for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- The 1988 Holmes Definition for CFS
- Soriano, Joan B.; Allan, Maya; Alsokhn, Carine; Alwan, Nisreen A.; Askie, Lisa; Davis, Hannah E.; Diaz, Janet V.; Dua, Tarun; de Groote, Wouter; Jakob, Robert; Lado, Marta; Marshall, John; Murthy, Srin; Preller, Jacobus; Relan, Pryanka; Schiess, Nicoline; Seahwag, Archana (October 6, 2021), A clinical case definition of post COVID-19 condition by a Delphi consensus, World Health Organization (WHO) clinical case definition working group on post COVID-19 condition, World Health Organization
- Kerr, Jonathan R.; Bracewell, Janice; Laing, Ian; Mattey, Derek L.; Bernstein, Robert M.; Bruce, Ian N.; Tyrrell, David A. J. (March 2002). "Chronic fatigue syndrome and arthralgia following parvovirus B19 infection". The Journal of Rheumatology. 29 (3): 595–602. ISSN 0315-162X. PMID 11911112.
World Health Organization (WHO) - "A specialized agency of the United Nations that is concerned with public health. It was established on 7 April 1948, and is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland. The WHO is a member of the United Nations Development Group. Its predecessor, the Health Organization, was an agency of the League of Nations." The International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD) is maintained by WHO.