Ribose is a carbohydrate with the formula C5H10O5, that exists in two forms: D-ribose, which occurs in nature and L-ribose, which is the mirror image of D-ribose and does not occur in nature.
D-ribose comes in powder form, tastes sweet, and can used as a sugar substitute in drinks or on cereal.
Use in ME/CFS and FM[edit | edit source]
It is used as a supplement for help boost muscle energy, such as for athletes and people with ME/CFS, Fibromyalgia, and coronary artery disease. The theory is that if one supplies the body with the precursors to ATP, then it will be easier for the body to make ATP.
Sources[edit | edit source]
Supplemental d-ribose is manufactured from corn, so is to be avoided by those with corn allergies or insensitivities.
Evidence[edit | edit source]
A small study of 41 patients by Jacob Teitelbaum resulted in: "Approximately 66% of patients experienced significant improvement while on D-ribose [at a dose of 5 g, three times a day], with an average increase in energy on the VAS [visual analog scale categories: energy; sleep; mental clarity; and pain intensity] of 45% and an average improvement in overall well-being of 30% (p < 0.0001)." The study authors concluded that "D-ribose significantly reduced clinical symptoms in patients suffering from fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome".
Risks[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia - Ribose
- Doctor Myhill - D-ribose
- WebMD - Vitamins and Supplements - Ribose
- Teitelbaum, Jacob E.; Johnson, Clarence; St Cyr, John (November 2006), "The use of D-ribose in chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia: a pilot study", Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine (New York, N.Y.), 12 (9): 857–862, doi:10.1089/acm.2006.12.857, ISSN 1075-5535, PMID 17109576
- "D-Ribose linked to Memory Loss, Anxiety, & Aβ-like deposits associated with Alzheimer's in Mice".
- Wu, Beibei; Wei, Yan; Wang, Yujing; Su, Tao; Zhou, Lei; Liu, Ying; He, Rongqiao (Oct 7, 2015). "Gavage of D-Ribose induces Aβ-like deposits, Tau hyperphosphorylation as well as memory loss and anxiety-like behavior in mice". Oncotarget. 6 (33): 34128–34142. ISSN 1949-2553. PMC . PMID 26452037.
- Han, C.; Lu, Y.; Wei, Y.; Wu, B.; Liu, Y.; He, R. (Mar 2014). "D -ribosylation induces cognitive impairment through RAGE-dependent astrocytic inflammation". Cell Death & Disease. 5 (3): e1117–e1117. doi:10.1038/cddis.2014.89. ISSN 2041-4889.
chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) - A fatigue-based illness. The term CFS was invented invented by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control as an replacement for myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). Some view CFS as a neurological disease, others use the term for any unexplained long-term fatigue. Sometimes used as a the term as a synonym of myalgic encephalomyelitis, despite the different diagnostic criteria.