Autoimmune protocol diet
The talk page may contain suggestions.
The Autoimmune Protocol Diet or AIP diet, is also known as the Autoimmune Paleo diet; it is a restrictive diet and lifestyle program involving elimination of certain foods and drinks, followed by some reintroduction, plus lifestyle changes including sleep and stress management. It was originally developed by Dr Sarah Ballantyne.
Foods and drinks avoided[edit | edit source]
The AIP is more restrictive than a paleo diet, and involves avoiding many unhealthy foods, but also some foods typically considered healthy. These include:
- Processed foods
- Chemical additivies
- Grains and pseudo-grains
- Legumes including soy
- Nuts and seeds
- Nightshades - including peppers, tomatoes and potatoes
ME/CFS[edit | edit source]
No studies have been carried out to determine the effects of the Autoimmune Protocol on patients with ME or CFS, and they are not currently considered to be autoimmune diseases.
Notable publications[edit | edit source]
- 2014, The paleo approach: reverse autoimmune disease and heal your body - ISBN 9781936608393
- 2017, Efficacy of the Autoimmune Protocol Diet for Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- 2018, Efficacy of the Autoimmune Protocol Diet as Part of a Multi-disciplinary, Supported Lifestyle Intervention for Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
- The Paleo Mom - website of AIP creator Sarah Ballantyne
- AIP: The Definitive Guide - Autoimmune Wellness
- SAD to AID - coaching program used in a clinical study for IBD
References[edit | edit source]
- "What is The Autoimmune Protocol". The Paleo Mom. Retrieved Oct 4, 2019.
- AutoImmune Wellness (Jun 4, 2018). "What is AIP? The Definitive Guide". Autoimmune Wellness. Retrieved Oct 4, 2019.
- Ballantyne, Sarah (Jan 28, 2014). The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body. Victory Belt Publishing. ISBN 9781936608393.
- Konijeti, Gauree G.; Kim, NaMee; Lewis, James D.; Groven, Shauna; Chandrasekaran, Anita; Grandhe, Sirisha; Diamant, Caroline; Singh, Emily; Oliveira, Glenn (Nov 2017). "Efficacy of the Autoimmune Protocol Diet for Inflammatory Bowel Disease". Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. 23 (11): 2054–2060. doi:10.1097/MIB.0000000000001221. ISSN 1078-0998. PMC . PMID 28858071.
- Abbott, Robert D; Sadowski, Adam; Alt, Angela G (Apr 27, 2019). "Efficacy of the Autoimmune Protocol Diet as Part of a Multi-disciplinary, Supported Lifestyle Intervention for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis". Cureus. doi:10.7759/cureus.4556. ISSN 2168-8184. PMC . PMID 31275780.
chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) - A controversial term, invented by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, that generally refers to a collection of symptoms as “fatigue”. There have been multiple attempts to come up with a set of diagnostic criteria to define this term, but few of those diagnostic criteria are currently in use. Previous attempts to define this term include the Fukuda criteria and the Oxford criteria. Some view the term as a useful diagnostic category for people with long-term fatigue of unexplained origin. Others view the term as a derogatory term borne out of animus towards patients. Some view the term as a synonym of myalgic encephalomyelitis, while others view myalgic encephalomyelitis as a distinct disease.