Metabolic relates to metabolism, the chemical processes that occur within a living organism in order to maintain life. Metabolic disease is caused by some defect in the chemical reactions of the cells of the body.
Metabolic and ME/CFS[edit | edit source]
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2016, Metabolic features of chronic fatigue syndrome
- 2020, Comprehensive Circulatory Metabolomics in ME/CFS Reveals Disrupted Metabolism of Acyl Lipids and Steroids - (Full text)
Learn more[edit | edit source]
- "ME/CFS, a mathematical model" by Paolo Maccallini via Wordpress
- "Many of my readers are probably aware of the attempts that are currently being made to mathematically simulate energy metabolism of ME/CFS patients, integrating metabolic data with genetic data. In particular, Dr. Robert Phair has developed a mathematical model of the main metabolic pathways involved in energy conversion, from energy stored in the chemical bonds of big molecules like glucose, fatty acids, and amino acids, to energy stored in adenosine triphosphate (ATP), ready to use. Phair, who is an engineer, determined the differential equations that rule this huge amount of chemical reactions and adapted them to the genetic profile found in ME/CFS patients."
References[edit | edit source]
- Metabolic - The Free Dictionary
- "Up Close with Robert Phair, PhD". Open Medicine Foundation. June 13, 2018. Retrieved January 20, 2019.
- Germain, Arnaud; Barupal, Dinesh K.; Levine, Susan M.; Hanson, Maureen R. (January 14, 2020). "Comprehensive Circulatory Metabolomics in ME/CFS Reveals Disrupted Metabolism of Acyl Lipids and Steroids". Metabolites. 10 (1): 34. doi:10.3390/metabo10010034. ISSN 2218-1989.
- Hanson, Maureen R.; Germain, Arnaud (May 25, 2020). "Letter to the Editor of Metabolites". Metabolites. 10 (5): 216. doi:10.3390/metabo10050216. ISSN 2218-1989.
- Maccallini, Paolo (July 10, 2018). "ME/CFS, a mathematical model". paolo maccallini. Retrieved January 20, 2019.
metabolomics The analysis of the chemical metabolism within cells, tissues or organisms. The term is often used to refer to the full set of metabolites found in a cell in a given environment.
metabolite A chemical compound produced by, or involved in, metabolism. The term is often used to refer to the degradation products of drugs in the body.