Parliamentary debates and business[edit | edit source]
- Jan 24, 2019, Appropriate ME Treatment
I spoke in a previous Westminster Hall debate and later put down written questions on ME on the basis suggested by Dr Ian Gibson, whom longer-standing Members may remember as the Labour Member for Norwich and a distinguished medical scientist in his own right. Ian was incensed by the use of graded exercise therapy. He said that it was less than useless and actually damaging to sufferers as well as causing them pain and raising false optimism that such therapies would work.
Given that ME causes extreme fatigue, suggesting more exercise seems to me about as sensible as asking frostbite sufferers to walk about in snow. The other suggested treatment, cognitive behavioural therapy, helped to underpin the myth that ME is a psychological problem, not a physical condition. Neither of those supposed therapies should have been given credence and efforts should have been focused long ago on discovering the real causes of ME and on undertaking proper and thorough research to develop effective treatments.— Kelvin Hopkins, MP, Appropriate ME Treatment
Parliamentary Questions[edit | edit source]
- Nov 22, 2016: Written questions and answers - www.parliament.uk
- MP Hopkins asked 7 questions about ME/CFS research and treatment recommendations of the Secretary of State Health and Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. He is questioning as to whether there was fraudulent activity of the PACE trial and whether those involved should receive public funding into ME/CFS research in the future. He wants NICE guideline recommendations for the treatment of ME/CFS changed and GET and CBT recommendations removed.
- These questions were recorded on November 22, 2016 with five answered on November 25, 2016. 
Contact[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Hansard | UK Parliament (January 24, 2019). "Appropriate ME Treatment | 24 January 2019 Volume 653". hansard.parliament.uk. Retrieved January 25, 2019.
- Monaghan, Carol; Morgan, Nicky; Hopkins, Kelvin; Pound, Steve (October 30, 2018). "Backbench Business Committee - EXTRACT". parliamentlive.tv. Retrieved October 30, 2018.
- Parliamentary Questions asked by MP Kelvin Hopkins - Change.org Opposing MEGA: A Vote of No Confidence in MEGA Research