Welsh Association of ME & CFS Support
The Welsh Association of ME & CFS Support (WAMES) is a British patient charity providing support to adults and children with ME/CFS and their carers and families in Wales.
Aims[edit | edit source]
WAMES aims to improve services, access to services, awareness and support in Wales, in particular:
- campaigning for recognition of ME as a neurological illness in line with the WHO classification and the results of biomedical research
- campaigning for appropriate health, education, social care services, benefits and research
- raising awareness of ME
- offering support to young people with ME
- providing information in Welsh and English for people with ME, their families & professionals
- aiding local support groups
Funding[edit | edit source]
WAMES became a registered charity in November 2011. Funding has been sourced from individual donations, ME support groups and professional organisations. Additionally, a £5,000 Award for all Wales grant from the Big Lottery Fund was awarded in September 2010 for an awareness campaign.
History[edit | edit source]
WAMES was founded in 2001 by local support groups to address issues specific to Wales due to devolution and bilingualism.