Doctor Neil Harrison, MB, BS, PhD, MRCP, MRCPsych - EMERG (Sussex University), East Sussex, UK.
Clinic location[edit | edit source]
Brighton, Sussex, United Kingdom
ME/CFS Common Data Element (CDE) Project[edit | edit source]
Member of the Neurologic/Cognitive/CNS Imaging Working Group of the Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Common Data Element (CDE) Project sponsored by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2019, Persistent fatigue induced by interferon-alpha: a novel, inflammation-based, proxy model of chronic fatigue syndrome(Full text)
Talks and interviews[edit | edit source]
- 2016, 81. ME & diagnosis / ME & diagnose - Dr. Neil Harrison
- 2016, 80. ME & inflammation, part 2 / ME & inflammatie, deel 2 - Dr Harrison
- 2016, 79. ME & inflammation, part 1 / ME & inflammatie, deel 1 - Dr Harrison
- 2016, 78. ME & the brain, part 2 / ME & de hersenen, deel 2 - Dr. Neil Harrison
- 2016, 77. ME & the brain, part 1 / ME & de hersenen, deel 1 - Dr. Neil Harrison
- 2016, 76. ME & fatigue / ME & vermoeidheid - Dr. Neil Harrison
- 2016, 75. Me & ME / Ik & ME - Dr. Neil Harrison
- 2018, UK CFS/ME Research Collaborative Conference - MRC-funded update: Imaging exercise-induced Post-Exertional Malaise in ME/CFS
Online presence[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Complete Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome CDE Roster". NIH. Retrieved October 11, 2019.
- Russell, Alice; Hepgul, Nilay; Nikkheslat, Naghmeh; Borsini, Alessandra; Zajkowska, Zuzanna; Moll, Natalie; Forton, Daniel; Agarwal, Kosh; Chalder, Trudie; Mondelli, Valeria; Hotopf, Matthew; Cleare, Anthony; Murphy, Gabrielle; Wong, Terry; Foster, Graham; Schütze, Gregor A.; Schwarz, Markus J.; Harrison, Neil; Zunszain, Patricia; Pariante, Carmine (2018). "Persistent fatigue induced by interferon-alpha: a novel, inflammation-based, proxy model of chronic fatigue syndrome". Psychoneuroendocrinology. doi:10.1016/j.psyneuen.2018.11.032. ISSN 0306-4530. Retrieved December 18, 2018.
cognition Thought processes, including attention, reasoning, and memory.
central nervous system (CNS) - One of the two parts of the human nervous system, the other part being the peripheral nervous system. The central nervous system consists of the brain and spinal cord, while the peripheral nervous system consists of nerves that travel from the central nervous system into the various organs and tissues of the body.
myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) - A disease often marked by neurological symptoms, but fatigue is sometimes a symptom as well. Some diagnostic criteria distinguish it from chronic fatigue syndrome, while other diagnostic criteria consider it to be a synonym for chronic fatigue syndrome. A defining characteristic of ME is post-exertional malaise (PEM), or post-exertional neuroimmune exhaustion (PENE), which is a notable exacerbation of symptoms brought on by small exertions. PEM can last for days or weeks. Symptoms can include cognitive impairments, muscle pain (myalgia), trouble remaining upright (orthostatic intolerance), sleep abnormalities, and gastro-intestinal impairments, among others. An estimated 25% of those suffering from ME are housebound or bedbound. The World Health Organization (WHO) classifies ME as a neurological disease.