Liisa Kaarina Selin
Professor Liisa Kaarina Selin Ph.D. or Lissa K. Selin is a Finland-born Canadian internal medicine doctor who specializes in researching infectious diseases, particularly viral immunology. Prof Selin is Assistant Professor at the University of Massachusetts Medical School, in the United States.
Dr Selin is a member of the following professional organizations:
- American Association of Immunologists
- Canadian Infectious Disease Society
- EBV Society
- American Association of Microbiology
- American Academy of Sciences
Major research interests[edit | edit source]
- The role of heterologous memory T cells in modulating immunity and pathology during mucosal and systemic virus infections in the mouse model.
- The dynamics of crossreactive CD8 T cell responses during human virus infections
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- After researching seed funding from the Ramsay award program, Prof. Liisa Selin and Anna Gil Ph.D. reported finding immune system dysregulation in patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue (ME/CFS), including increased CD4+CD8+ T-cells and aberrant cytokines, although this research has not yet been published.
- Altered T Cell Responses in ME/CFS (research grant)
- Prof. Selin and Prof. Gil were awarded a $2.5 million research grant by the United States National Institute for Health Research in 2021 for this ME/CFS research.
Notable publications[edit | edit source]
Talks and interviews[edit | edit source]
- Altered T cell Responses in ME/CFS - Liisa Selin Ph.D. (45 min.). Sep 27, 2020. Mass ME/CFS Research Club.
Online presence[edit | edit source]
- Google scholar
- Address: clinic/lab-address
See also[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
- Altered T Cell Responses in ME/CFS - NIH research description
- Liisa Selin and Anna Gil - Solve ME/CFS Initiative
- Immune cell metabolism alerted in ME/CFS - National Institutes for Health
- Exciting news: big ME/CFS research grant - Massachusetts ME/CFS & FM Association
- Liisa Selin - Who's Who of Professional Women
References[edit | edit source]
- "Liisa Selin | Profiles RNS". University of Massachusetts Medical School. Retrieved March 29, 2021.
- "Prestigious NIH Grant Awardes to University of Massachusetts Medical School Researchers" (PDF). Massachusetts ME/CFS & FM Association. Retrieved March 29, 2021.
- "Exciting News! Big ME/CFS Research Grant". Massachusetts ME/CFS & FM Association. March 2021. Retrieved March 29, 2021.
immunologist A clinical immunologist is medical doctor specializing immune system problems that lead to infections, immunodeficiency disorders, autoimmune diseases, and autoinflammatory diseases including anaphylaxis ans allergies
mouse model The use of special strains of mice to study a human disease or condition, and how to prevent and treat it