Hemispherx Biopharma is a small American pharmaceutical company that produces the drug Ampligen. Corporate headquarters are in Orlando, Florida (formerly in Philadelphia, PA) and the main manufacturing and research facility is in New Brunswick, NJ. A second manufacturing plant is in use in Spokane, Washington.
In addition to Ampligen® (rintatolimid), Hemispherx produces Alferon N Injection® and Alferon® LDO (Low Dose Oral). To date, only Alferon N Injection® has FDA approval. Ampligen® and Alferon® LDO are not FDA-approved and are considered experimental.
In Jan 2018, Thomas Equels, chief executive officer of Hemispherx Biopharma, released a letter instructing every Hemispherx employee to watch the documentary Unrest and urged their affiliates and stockholders to do the same, in an effort to share information about ME/CFS, one of the primary disease targets for their drug Ampligen.
Change in leadership[edit | edit source]
In Feb 2016, Dr. William Carter, then Chairman and CEO, was terminated by the board of directors of Hermispherx Biopharma, who cited that part of the reason was a strong financial austerity plan. William M. Mitchell, M.D., Ph.D. was promoted in house as his replacement.
In June 2016, the law suit was resolved between Dr. Carter and Hemispherx regarding the wrongful termination claim. As part of the settlement, the intellectual property rights, including the patent for Ampligen and Alferon, are irrevocably assigned to to Hemispherx.
Management[edit | edit source]
- Thomas K. Equels, M.S., J.D. - Executive Vice Chairman, Chief Executive Officer, President, Secretary & General Counsel
- Adam Pascale, CPA - Chief Financial Officer
- David R. Strayer, M.D. - Chief Scientific & Medical Officer
- Wayne Springate - Senior Vice President of Operations
Board of directors[edit | edit source]
- William M. Mitchell, M.D., Ph.D. - Chairman of the Board
- Thomas K. Equels, M.S., J.D. - Executive Vice Chairman, Chief Executive Officer, President, Secretary, & General Counsel
- Peter W. Rodino III, Esq.- Lead Director
Marketing history[edit | edit source]
Online presence[edit | edit source]
Talks and interviews[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia - Hemispherx Biopharma
- Wikipedia - Rintatolimod
- 2016, Hemispherx BioPharma CEO Explains Chronic Fatigue Syndrome And How The Company Is Treating It
- 2016, Executive Informational Overview by Crystal Research Associates
- 2016, Hemispherx Biopharma (HEB) Comments on Recent Meeting with NIH for ME/CFS Research Advancement (see also NIH Post-Infectious ME/CFS Study)
- 2016, Ampligen Co-Inventor / Head of Hemispherx Biopharma Fired: Implications for ME/CFS Drug Unclear
- 2014, Investor's post about HEB's rocky history
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Hasse, Javier (Dec 30, 2016), "Hemispherx BioPharma CEO Explains Chronic Fatigue Syndrome And How The Company Is Treating It", Benzinga, Detroit Michigan
- Crystal Research Associates (Nov 27, 2016), Hemispherx Biopharma, Inc. (PDF) (Executive Informational Overview)