It is a critical co-enzyme of five carboxylases: acetyl-Coenzyme A carboxylase 1 and acetyl Co-enzyme A carboxylase 2,; propionyl Co-enzyme A carboxylase; β-methylcrotonyl Co-enzyme A carboxylase; and pyruvate Co-enzyme A carboxylase.
RDA[edit | edit source]
The RDA for adults is 30mcg (micrograms, or mcg) for both males and females in the United States. In Australia 30μg of biotin is recommended for adult men, and 25μg for women who are not pregnant or breastfeeding.
Deficiency[edit | edit source]
Excessive biotin is rare but can develop with prolonged consumption of raw egg whites total intravenous nutritional support lacking biotin. Women may develop subclinical biotin deficiency during pregnancy. Anticonvulsants increase the risk of Biotin deficiency.
Chronic fatigue syndrome[edit | edit source]
A blinded randomised controlled trial of a supplement containing 40mcg of biotin and many other vitamins, minerals and trace elements did not find any benefit to people with chronic fatigue syndrome.
Other diseases[edit | edit source]
Learn more[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- NIH. "Office of Dietary Supplements - Biotin". Retrieved Nov 17, 2018.
- nrv.gov.au (Mar 17, 2014). "Biotin". www.nrv.gov.au. Retrieved Nov 17, 2018.
- "Biotin". Linus Pauling Institute. Apr 22, 2014. Retrieved Nov 17, 2018.
- Brouwers, F. M.; Van Der Werf, S.; Bleijenberg, G.; Van Der Zee, L.; Van Der Meer, J. W. M. (Oct 2002). "The effect of a polynutrient supplement on fatigue and physical activity of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome: a double-blind randomized controlled trial". QJM: monthly journal of the Association of Physicians. 95 (10): 677–683. ISSN 1460-2725. PMID 12324640.
- "Effect of MD1003 in Chronic Visual Loss Related to Optic Neuritis in Multiple Sclerosis - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov". Retrieved Nov 17, 2018.
- "Effect of MD1003 in Spinal Progressive Multiple Sclerosis - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov". Retrieved Nov 17, 2018.