Active Hexose Correlated Compound
Active hexose correlated compound (AHCC) is a supplement derived from shiitake mushrooms. It is rich in the polysaccharides alpha-glucan and beta-glucan and is a popular adjuvant cancer treatment in Japan.
Immune modulation[edit | edit source]
Natural killer cell function[edit | edit source]
Cancer[edit | edit source]
In humans, there is some evidence that AHCC may prolong survival in liver cancer patients.
References[edit | edit source]
- Ye, She-Fang; Ichimura, Kaoru; Wakame, Koji; Ohe, Masato (Dec 19, 2003), "Suppressive effects of Active Hexose Correlated Compound on the increased activity of hepatic and renal ornithine decarboxylase induced by oxidative stress", Life Sciences, 74 (5): 593–602, ISSN 0024-3205, PMID 14623030
- Mascaraque, Cristina; Suárez, María Dolores; Zarzuelo, Antonio; Sánchez de Medina, Fermín; Martínez-Augustin, Olga (December 2014), "Active hexose correlated compound exerts therapeutic effects in lymphocyte driven colitis", Molecular Nutrition & Food Research, 58 (12): 2379–2382, doi:10.1002/mnfr.201400364, ISSN 1613-4133, PMID 25186628
- Ikeda, Tatsuo; Ishibashi, Hiroko; Fujisaki, Ryuichi; Yamazaki, Masatoshi; Wakame, Kohji; Kosuna, Kenichi; Yamaguchi, Hideyo; Ono, Yasuo; Abe, Shigeru (2003), "[Prophylactic efficacy of a basidiomycetes preparation AHCC against lethal Candida albicans infection in experimental granulocytopenic mice]", Nihon Ishinkin Gakkai Zasshi = Japanese Journal of Medical Mycology, 44 (2): 127–131, ISSN 0916-4804, PMID 12748595
- Aviles, Hernan; Belay, Tesfaye; Fountain, Kimberly; Vance, Monique; Sun, Buxiang; Sonnenfeld, Gerald (August 2003), "Active hexose correlated compound enhances resistance to Klebsiella pneumoniae infection in mice in the hindlimb-unloading model of spaceflight conditions", Journal of Applied Physiology (Bethesda, Md.: 1985), 95 (2): 491–496, doi:10.1152/japplphysiol.00259.2003, ISSN 8750-7587, PMID 12692142
- Ritz, Barry W.; Nogusa, Shoko; Ackerman, Elizabeth A.; Gardner, Elizabeth M. (Nov 1, 2006), "Supplementation with Active Hexose Correlated Compound Increases the Innate Immune Response of Young Mice to Primary Influenza Infection", The Journal of Nutrition, 136 (11): 2868–2873, ISSN 0022-3166, PMID 17056815, retrieved Nov 9, 2016
- Terakawa, Naoyoshi; Matsui, Yoichi; Satoi, Sohei; Yanagimoto, Hiroaki; Takahashi, Kanji; Yamamoto, Tomohisa; Yamao, Jun; Takai, Soichiro; Kwon, A.-Hon; Kamiyama, Yasuo (Sep 5, 2008), "Immunological Effect of Active Hexose Correlated Compound (AHCC) in Healthy Volunteers: A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial", Nutrition and Cancer, 60 (5): 643–651, doi:10.1080/01635580801993280, ISSN 0163-5581, PMID 18791928, retrieved Nov 9, 2016
- Yagita, Akikuni; Maruyama, Syoji; Wakasugi, Shinji; Sukegawa, Yasushi (February 2002), "H-2 haplotype-dependent serum IL-12 production in tumor-bearing mice treated with various mycelial extracts", In Vivo (Athens, Greece), 16 (1): 49–54, ISSN 0258-851X, PMID 11980361
- Hirose, Aya; Sato, Eri; Fujii, Hajime; Sun, Buxiang; Nishioka, Hiroshi; Aruoma, Okezie I. (Jul 15, 2007), "The influence of active hexose correlated compound (AHCC) on cisplatin-evoked chemotherapeutic and side effects in tumor-bearing mice", Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 222 (2): 152–158, doi:10.1016/j.taap.2007.03.031, ISSN 0041-008X, PMID 17555784
- Kidd, P. M. (February 2000), "The use of mushroom glucans and proteoglycans in cancer treatment", Alternative Medicine Review: A Journal of Clinical Therapeutic, 5 (1): 4–27, ISSN 1089-5159, PMID 10696116
- Cao, Zhiyun; Chen, Xuzheng; Lan, Lan; Zhang, Zhideng; Du, Jian; Liao, Lianming (April 2015), "Active hexose correlated compound potentiates the antitumor effects of low-dose 5-fluorouracil through modulation of immune function in hepatoma 22 tumor-bearing mice", Nutrition Research and Practice, 9 (2): 129–136, doi:10.4162/nrp.2015.9.2.129, ISSN 1976-1457, PMC , PMID 25861418, retrieved Nov 9, 2016
- Cowawintaweewat, Suwanna; Manoromana, Suphon; Sriplung, Hutcha; Khuhaprema, Thiravud; Tongtawe, Pongsri; Tapchaisri, Pramuan; Chaicumpa, Wanpen (March 2006), "Prognostic improvement of patients with advanced liver cancer after active hexose correlated compound (AHCC) treatment", Asian Pacific Journal of Allergy and Immunology, 24 (1): 33–45, ISSN 0125-877X, PMID 16913187
adverse reaction - Any unintended or unwanted response to the treatment under investigation in a clinical trial.