The thyroid is an endocrine gland in the neck. It secretes thyroid hormones, which regulate the body's rate of metabolism, and calcitonin, a protein that assists in calcium balance. The production of thyroid hormones is stimulated by thyrotropin or Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), which is produced by the pituitary.
Types of thyroid hormones[edit | edit source]
Triiodothyronine and thyroxine are the two main forms of thyroid hormones. Thyroid hormones are partially comprised of iodine and a deficiency of iodine in the diet can lead to decreased production of these hormones. If left uncorrected the thyroid tissue can enlarge, resulting in a pronounced swelling in the neck, called a 'simple goitre.'
Notable studies[edit | edit source]
- 2007, Thyroid malignancy association with cortical & subcortical brain SPECT changes in patients presenting with a myalgic encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome(Abstract)
- 2018, Higher Prevalence of “Low T3 Syndrome” in Patients With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Case–Control Study(Full Text)
Learn more[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
- Thyroid disease
- Thyroid hormone
- List of hormones
- Thyroid-stimulating hormone
- Hashimoto's thyroiditis (hypothyroidism)
References[edit | edit source]
- Betts, JG; Young, KA; Wise, JA; Johnson, E; Poe, B; Kruse, DH; Korol, O; Johnson, JE; Womble, M; DeSaix, P (April 25, 2013). "17.4 The Thyroid Gland". Anatomy and Physiology. OpenStax. Houston, Texas. Retrieved January 28, 2022.
- Hyde, Byron; Leveille, Jean; Vaudrey, Sheila; Green, Tracy (2007). "Thyroid malignancy association with cortical & subcortical brain SPECT changes in patients presenting with a myalgic encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome". ALASBIMN Journal. 38 (42): 18.
- Ruiz-Núñez, Begoña; Tarasse, Rabab; Vogelaar, Emar F.; Janneke Dijck-Brouwer, D.A.; Muskiet, Frits A. J. (2018), "Higher Prevalence of "Low T3 Syndrome" in Patients With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Case–Control Study", Frontiers in Endocrinology, 9: 97, doi:10.3389/fendo.2018.00097, PMID 29615976