Pleconaril (Picovir) is an antiviral drug developed by Schering-Plough, now Merck. It has activity against Picornaviridae viruses including Enteroviruses and Rinoviruses.
Pleconaril has shown promise for the treatment of enteroviruses in a number of in vitro and clinical studies.
The drug was available under compassionate use until 2003 and has not been approved by the FDA.
- ↑ Rotbart, Harley A.; Webster, A. David (Jan 15, 2001), "Treatment of Potentially Life-Threatening Enterovirus Infections with Pleconaril", Clinical Infectious Diseases, 32 (2): 228–235, doi:10.1086/318452, ISSN 1058-4838, PMID 11170912, retrieved Nov 9, 2016
- ↑ Pevear, Daniel C.; Tull, Tina M.; Seipel, Martin E.; Groarke, James M. (Sep 1, 1999), "Activity of Pleconaril against Enteroviruses", Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 43 (9): 2109–2115, ISSN 0066-4804, PMID 10471549, retrieved Nov 9, 2016
- ↑ Bauer, Sofia; Gottesman, Giora; Sirota, Lea; Litmanovitz, Ita; Ashkenazi, Shay; Levi, Itzhak (Sep 1, 2002), "Severe Coxsackie virus B infection in preterm newborns treated with pleconaril", European Journal of Pediatrics, 161 (9): 491–493, doi:10.1007/s00431-002-0929-5, ISSN 0340-6199, retrieved Nov 9, 2016
- ↑ Groarke, James M.; Pevear, Daniel C. (Jun 1, 1999), "Attenuated Virulence of Pleconaril-Resistant Coxsackievirus B3 Variants", Journal of Infectious Diseases, 179 (6): 1538–1541, doi:10.1086/314758, ISSN 0022-1899, PMID 10228078, retrieved Nov 9, 2016
- ↑ Abzug, Mark J.; Cloud, Gretchen; Bradley, John; Sánchez, Pablo J.; Romero, José; Powell, Dwight; Lepow, Martha; Mani, Chitra; Capparelli, Edmund V.; Blount, Sharon; Lakeman, Fred; Whitley, Richard J.; Kimberlin, David W.; National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Collaborative Antiviral Study Group (April 2003), "Double blind placebo-controlled trial of pleconaril in infants with enterovirus meningitis", The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, 22 (4): 335–341, doi:10.1097/01.inf.0000059765.92623.70, ISSN 0891-3668, PMID 12690273
The information provided at this site is not intended to diagnose or treat any illness.
From MEpedia, a crowd-sourced encyclopedia of ME and CFS science and history.