How To Live Well with Chronic Pain and Illness
|Subject||Patient guide, mindfulness|
|Media type||print & digital|
How To Live Well with Chronic Pain and Illness: A Mindful Guide is a book by author and ME patient Toni Bernhard.
Publisher's synopsis[edit | edit source]
(This synopsis was provided by the publisher for promotional purposes. For book reviews, please see Links section below.)
Comfort, understanding, and advice for those who are suffering—and those who care for them. Chronic illness creates many challenges, from career crises and relationship issues to struggles with self-blame, personal identity, and isolation. Beloved author Toni Bernhard addresses these challenges and many more, using practical examples to illustrate how mindfulness, equanimity, and compassion can help readers make peace with a life turned upside down. In her characteristic conversational style, Bernhard shows how to cope and make the most of life despite the challenges of chronic illness.
- Mindfulness exercises to mitigate physical and emotional pain
- Concrete advice for negotiating the everyday hurdles of medical appointments, household chores, and social obligations
- Tools for navigating the strains illness can place on relationships
Several chapters are directed toward family and friends of the chronically ill, helping them to understand what their loved one is going through and how they can help. Humorous and empathetic, Bernhard shares her own struggles and setbacks with unflinching honesty, offering invaluable support in the search to find peace and well-being.
Articles and interviews[edit | edit source]
- 23 Sep 2015, 20 Tips for Living Well with Chronic Pain and Illness: An introduction to my new book, Toni Bernhard. Psychology Today.
- 30 Sep 2015, How to Live Well with Chronic Pain and Illness: An Interview with Toni Bernhard. Elisha Goldstein.
- 26 Jan 2016, Interview and a Giveaway: Toni Bernhard’s “How to Live Well with Chronic Pain and Illness”. Chronic Babe.
Links[edit | edit source]
- How To Live Well with Chronic Pain and Illness - Amazon (US)
- How To Live Well with Chronic Pain and Illness - Amazon (UK)
- How To Live Well with Chronic Pain and Illness - Goodreads
- How To Live Well with Chronic Pain and Illness - Official website
- How To Live Well with Chronic Pain and Illness - Wisdom Publications
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
chronic illness any long-term illness, regardless of the severity. Chronic illnesses are typically incurable, requiring long-term management.
muscle strain An injury involving a stretched or torn muscle or tendon (tendons are fibrous cords of tissue that connect muscle to bone).
The information provided at this site is not intended to diagnose or treat any illness.
From MEpedia, a crowd-sourced encyclopedia of ME and CFS science and history.